Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 4WD TAHOE EXCESIVE TIRE WEAR

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 4WD TAHOE EXCESIVE TIRE WEAR

Ok, I own a 07 Tahoe with 22" Boss wheels and 305/40/22 Falken tires. The inside of both front tires (about 2 inches worth) is wearing out much quicker than the rest of the tire. It is so bad now that I have about 50% tread life left on my tires and the inside fronts are completley warn through and not even making contact with the road. This inside of the tire has begun to seperate from itself. I rotate my tires about every 5k. I run 40psi and drive on mostly surface streets around town. A friend of mine is a service manager at the loacl chevy dealership and he has checked the alignment. Not sure if it's a related problem but I have already warn out my front rotors at 25 thousand miles. Any ideas???

Could my wheels have the wrong offset for the 07 Tahoe? I know my Tahoe was one of the first released and I hear that aftermarketwheels were not availible right away. I purchasedmy Tahoe used with the 22's on it so I don't know the offsetor any other info. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old April 25th, 2008, 8:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 07 4WD TAHOE EXCESIVE TIRE WEAR

The problem is camber-related, which means that thetop of the wheel is leaning too far in and the bottom too far out.Bottom line is its definately out of alignment.

Worn out your front rotors? Are you sure you haven't confused your rotors with your pads? If you have worn your front pads out, depending on how hard or how long you stay on your brakes when you come to a stop, It may be about time.
Old April 25th, 2008, 8:26 AM
CF Active Member

I am surprised your dealer didn't find any problems with your alignment (see post from EuroGoldLS).

Tie rod ends, a-arms, and brake calipers are trouble spots for an improper wheel offset. OEMS are usually a positive offset. If you have too much of a negative offset, it could be the culprit that is causing your problems.
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

The camber problem makes sence. My dealer never mentioned anything about it. They said they checked the alignment and everything was ok.

I've had my front rotors replaced by chevy along with new front pads. The rotors looked worse at 20K than my 03 Tahoe with 120k miles on it. Thanks for the advice!
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Have them give you a copy of the printout from the alignment machine. It should have the before & after numbers and the factory spec. If your camber is on the negative side of nominal, I'd have them set it to the positive side.