Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 McGaughys 2/3 Dropped LTZ - Pics and Review

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 McGaughys 2/3 Dropped LTZ - Pics and Review

Finally got my wife's hoe cleaned up enough to take some pics of the drop on it. It was about 23 degrees out and the water was freezing as I was washing it, but I got er done.

Before:

After:

The kit left a little bit to be desired if you ask me. The instructions were terrible. Luckily it's nothing complicated, but good instructions would have helped. For the front, it was extremely difficult to get the upper ball joint nut on. Since they need to make room for the cv boot, they had to recess this nut. Since they are ball joints, I couldn't use a deep socket because the whole shaft would turn. I used a ratcheting box wrench with a allen key in the stud until the nut recessed too much. Then I used a deep socket and channel locks so I could fit the allen key in until it was tight. Then, to fit the cv shaft in, you have to cut the ball joint stud down. It's gonna make it hard to put back to stock, or take off later down the road. I did not have to trim the bottom ball joint stud because of the 20's, but with 17's or 18's, you probably would have to. Another thing that does not make sense is that you cannot grease the ball joints now. Kinda dumb on chevy's part. Also, if you happen to do this drop in your driveway, you will have to get your toe right. This was soo far off on mine, I don't think I could have backed it out of the driveway, let alone to the alignment shop. It's easy enough to change, you'll just have to eye it up.

The rear was pretty easy, but before I knew it, the abs lines were tight when I dropped the rear axle. I quickly raised it back up, but might have done some damage here. I get an occasional traction control light when during sharp turns, and sometimes the abs will kick in when doing parking lot maneuvers. No huge deal because it doesn't happen often, but I think this may be the cause. Again, if the instructions were better, they could have told you to undo the clips on the frame before dropping the axle. Another thing on the rear, is that it would make more sense to give you new autoride links. They could make one to size, and probably adjustable. Makes more sense to me then bending the factory ones.

The ride is pretty good. You wouldn't know anything changed in the front, the ride is the same. It corners better, thats for sure. The rear is a bit "bouncy" now, even with the airbags. Nothing terrible, but noticeable on bridges and the like. I think if I lengthen the rear links a bit to put more psi in the airbags, it might take care of it. I also had to trim both rear inner fender liners because the tires were rubbing. Nothing too much, but made a terrible noise. It did no damage to the tires, so I let it rub a bit until it made good marks so I knew where to trim. Again, something that should have been in the directions.

All of that said, I would do it again. But, I might have waited to see if BellTech comes out with a kit for 4x4's.
[/align]
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 07 McGaughys 2/3 Dropped LTZ - Pics and Review

Good info! BellTech now has a kit for the 2007 tahoes!
Old February 26th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drop looks good. On black it makes it look really even. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the occasional ABS/Traction control. Mine is getting less with time though. Maybe the computer adjusted. I know the kit said not to use air tools, I still used them. Because of the joint turning as you tried to tighten. My kit was missing some of the instructions. I had to print an article from truckin magazine. It helped. But they failed to tell me that the upper ball joint wont go all the way down on the spindle. I took everything appart and re-did it. I finally called a fellow board member and he told me it was supposed to be that way.
Old February 26th, 2007, 3:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Nice - Not too low at all.

P.S. I really like the shaved emblems.
Old February 26th, 2007, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Very nice looking Tahoe!!
Old February 26th, 2007, 8:11 PM
CF Senior Member

did you get the front 2' spindel and 3'coil kit from them or did you get coils all the way around
Old February 26th, 2007, 8:22 PM
CF Active Member

Based on his review, I will say he got the spindles front and rear coils.
Old February 26th, 2007, 8:45 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the look. However, I cant decide if I want to lower mine, especially with all the snow we have had this year. I am not sure how practical a lowered tahoe is for our use.

I just ordered my second McGaughys 2/3 part #30008 Non autoride. It arrived from stylinconcepts on saturday. If anyone is interested let me know. I can save you a little since I dont want to pay a restocking fee. Let me know if there are any takers. Grrr, I wish I could make up my mind. I love the lowered look, just not sure how it would be in the crappy Missouri weather and in the rural area we live!
Old February 26th, 2007, 9:11 PM
CF Active Member

Biglg, LOWER IT!!!!![][][][]
Old February 26th, 2007, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

Landon, you are funny. You need to go ahead and lower it. If you are anything like me you will not rest till its lowered. Being that you are on your 3rd lowering kit I will say Im right. The truck will not be supper low. And I doubt that you drive your truck in snow storms anyways. I figure if its snowing too much I will just stay home. GO FOR IT!!!

Quick Reply: 07 McGaughys 2/3 Dropped LTZ - Pics and Review