Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Suburban Z71 busted wires

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2019, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Suburban Z71 busted wires

We were driving out of town and I backed up to get turned around. I heard something pulling below and finally got out. I found a line of wires (had a black plastic tube covering and gray outer layer with a red and black wire) had torn out from under the passenger side running board. Drives fine and everything seems to work. Any idea what it might be? It looked to be going from front engine area to behind rear wheel on passenger side just up under the running board. I’ll post a picture later. One end looks like a clean cut that was never attached. Scary to find when out of town!
Old August 9th, 2019, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Pictures

Old August 9th, 2019, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Could it be extra wires used for electric running boards? I just have the basic ones anyways.
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Were they attached at either end to you vehicle? If everything is working, they may not be yours.

My wife came home one day and said the spare tire on her explorer fell over and she ran over it. Thought it was strange so I went to investigate and her was still there. The truck ahead had lost its tire.

Last edited by KChevy75; August 9th, 2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old August 10th, 2019, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, they’re definitely tied under my vehicle. I finally found documentation that it’s wiring for the tow package. GM has the brilliant idea to leave them disconnected. Somehow they fell out of the engine bay and tangled on my tire or something. Great design, GM. So I’m going to cut them and tie them up until (if) I ever need the tow connections.

Originally Posted by KChevy75
Were they attached at either end to you vehicle? If everything is working, they may not be yours.

My wife came home one day and said the spare tire on her explorer fell over and she ran over it. Thought it was strange so I went to investigate and her was still there. The truck ahead had lost its tire.