Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe Bug Shield - Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe Bug Shield - Need Advise

Just bought the GM Parts painted bug shield and I am unsure about the mounting.
It is attached to the hood with metal brackets that allow the shield to "stand" away from the hood. They appear to serve the purpose of allowing you to clean behind it (?)

Anyone have this particular model?

How are some of the other manufacturers shields mounted?

Thanks
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 07 Tahoe Bug Shield - Need Advise

The brackets allow the bug shield to stand away from the hood like you said. It makes for easier cleaning and looks much better than the one I had on my '01.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
CF Active Member

dude, thats not a bud shield. GM doesn't really make a bug shield, it's just a hood protector. Had one on my 2000 Tahoe z71, all it does is make the bugs and rocks go over the front of the hood and then just drop right in the middle of the hood. All kinds of paint chips on my hood after I put it on. I have a AVS bug shield on my 07, looks great and it works good i guess, not as good as the one i had on my 05 avalanche. Problem with the one on my 07 tahoe is that it causes a whistle at higher seeds like 75, but then again the one on my 05 avalanche caused the side mirrors ti shake at those speeds.. But yeah, all mug shields pretty much mount the same way, except like my AVS, it has small bumps you stick on the hood so the shield doesn't hit it due to the force against it since it pushes the wind/bugs up..

[IMG]local://upfiles/1535/E17D9C96A3FC466E9160DB053DA79B98.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1535/BD2E6CC8AFC148D4949A1BEB7A705A1B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1535/805E7FB979474EACB63ED5A70DC36C21.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1535/AFA46474223F4096A0A1A59FD261DCEB.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey guys thanks.

Juice, how does that AVS on your 07 mount, with metal tabs like the GM?

The GM looks just like the one you have on your 07, and I would bet that it is made by Bugflector, AVS, etc

The only thing that concerned me was the fact that they give you some clear mylar film that you are supposed to lay down to keep the metal from rubbing on the top of the latch area of the top of where the front of the hood closes down.

Thanks
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
CF Junior Member

So do all of the manufacturers use those dang metal tabs to mount the deflector?

I am concerned since the GM kit provides these clear mylar strips for you to apply that I would think over time, any vibration will have the metal tabs rubbing through paint or cutting into metal somewhere in the vacinity of the hood and surrounding area.

Thanks
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

Hey Fry....

Thought I would hollar at you on this thread about the HVAC enhancement. It is #06024. The dealer is aware of this. Or at least should be.
Old June 26th, 2006, 2:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Mr Jenkins, it's FYR like FIRE, not fry!

Hey thanks for the heads up, when I head to the dealer with my punch list which is only about 3 things now, I'll be sure to inquire about that update.
Old June 27th, 2006, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

well from what i noticed is that the avs bugshield has a bit of a different angle to it than the stock. and they all use the metal clips, if you tighten the damn screws enough they won't vibrate. Good point and all but you use bolts on all metal parts and they're fine as long as they aren't loose. they spread out when you tighten the screw into them so they hold better then the darn double sided masking tape did on the gm bug shield on my 2000 tahoe, and def hold better than the plastic clips I had on my 05 avalanche cause those just loosen up.
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:27 AM
CF Active Member

OK people, I lied. I said that my AVS bug shield had metal clips, and well I just found out today that it doesn't. I must have been thinking of the one i had on my Avalanche. Yeah the AVS bug shield comes with rubber type nutsthat when you screw in the screw, they expand and hold it in place nice and tight. Yeah def is a much better design than those metal clips since they won't cause anything to rust. Sorry guys and gals. I've just been through so many cars in the past few year i just dont' remember whats what anymore.
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Well got the GM painted bug shield, put 1k miles on a road trip and very minimal bug strikes, so it looks like it does what it's supposed to do.

Took like an hour to het everything lined up, and everytime you really wrenched down on the screws the brackets tried to move, but once I got them all alligned and tightened, it looks perfect and being body colored, it is hardly visible.

Quick Reply: 07 Tahoe Bug Shield - Need Advise