Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe - Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe - Low Oil Pressure

2007 Tahoe LT 5.3 -about 2 weeks ago, low oil light came on. I added about a quart of oil. This past weekend, the Low oil Pressue/Stop enging light came on. Oil levels seemed OK. No ticking or knocking. Took it to a mechanic because i needed it fixed quickly and he changed the oil pressure sensor in the pan but it did not fix the problem.

I had the oil changes about 2000 miles ago and am wondering if they actually changed the oil filter. Is it poissible that the oil filter is clogged?

Also I have been reading other posts for the same issue and was wondering how difficult is was to get to get to the valve lifter oil manifold (VLOM) assembly. I'm no mechanic but have done many repairs myself.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Was it actually a qt low when you added a quart? Not sure the "Low Oil" lite would come on if just a qt low.
Old October 12th, 2011, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only added one quart since it regerstered in the cross patch when I checked. I had my mechanic chang the oil and filter today because I read on another post that the oils filter could also be the problem. Turns out that the last place I went to get an oil change apparently never changed my oil or filter. Now the oil pressure Gage is reading 40 psi on cold idle. As I excelerate it go as high as 60. I never saw it move so much. Hoping it's normal.
Old December 25th, 2020, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check to make sure your connections to the sending unit are tight. Then check for cracks or nicks in the wiring leading to the gauge.IF you do not find any lose connections and the wire is good, I'd try changing out the sending unit. Does your gauge work normal on start up? When does this disturbing reading occur? After the motor is warmed up, on acceleration, or driving on the highway on smooth roads or in town crossing RXR tracks? If it is on a bumpy road or going over a bump, it may indicate a lose wire. If all the above does not fix the problem, next will be to have the gauge itself checked. Make sure the wire to the gauge is secure