Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe noise

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe noise

When I start the Tahoe after it sits i hear a weird grinding noise coming from the fan area when you put it gear. Sounds like the fan is louder than normal too. If you turn it off and start it back up it sounds fine. Thanks in advance.
Old May 1st, 2012, 8:10 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> CrewCabFan,

Do any warning lights come on? How long does the vehicle sit?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

No warning lights, and it needs to sits for a couple of hours. Also you don't have to put it in gear, I was going off of my wife's description. When I did it this morning it does the same thing if you leave it in park.

Last edited by CrewCabFan; May 1st, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

check the fan clutch, take off the belt and spin each pulley listen/feel for bearing growls or binding
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> CrewCabFan,

"cleveland63b" offers a great suggestion. Another possibility is the A/C compressor trying to move liquid refrigerant through the system. The PCM may need to be reprogrammed with the latest calibration.

This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an accurate diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 2nd, 2012, 1:05 PM
CF Active Member

Don't know about posts 3 and 4 but my 2007 Tahoe has dual electric fans with NO fan belts. I believe they are controlled by engine temp and a/c being on.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Veteran

obviously if it has electric fan theres no clutch but theres still a drive belt and pulleys with bearings that go bad
Old May 2nd, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Taking it to Chevy in the morning. I'll post back when I hear something.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

I just had R34 added the other day. If I start the truck with the ac off I don't hear the sound until I turn the ac back on. Could it be too much r34 was added?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 8:07 PM
CF Veteran

compressor clutch and/or compressor could be going out

Quick Reply: 07 Tahoe noise