Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 tahoe pulling enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 tahoe pulling enclosed trailer

Just wanted to pull from this forum from those who have pulled trailers w/ their 07 tahoes. I have an 4x4 LT and recently attached a 6x14' enclosed trailer to the tahoe. I am having a serious vibrations issue when pulling it around 60-65. I mean it shakes the entire vehicle. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and could give some feedback. I took my setup down to the place I purchased the trailer from and they tell me it's the vehicle. No one ever wants to own up to a problem. Anyway, I'm grasping at straws and I know there are all kinds of experieced people on here, so thought I'd give this forum a go.

Thanks for any feedback,
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 tahoe pulling enclosed trailer

Of course, its never someone elses fault! Frustrating... I know!

There's a few variables I can think of. First and foremost, does the vibration occur without the trailer attached? If so... then you know its not JUST the trailer. I say "just" due to the possibility that the trailer may be aggrevating the problem.

I would check the tires on the trailer, make sure they're in balance. I would also check all nuts/bolts holding any suspension or mechanical parts on that trailer. Make sure everything is tight or torqued to spec.

Another possibility, although remote, is the height of the trailer relative to the Tahoe. I'm think of the possibility of wind drag. Granted, I've hauled a 14' enclosed trailer with my Ford Taurus (yes... I said Taurus!!) and did not have any issues with wind causing any major turbulence on my car. Mind you, the car was NOT very happy about having that trailer back there, but it did it for 800 miles! Again, this is a very remote and unlikely scenario, but a possibility.

Hope this helps!

Old June 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

I've towed an enclosed trailer with two snowmobiles on board behind my '07 LTZ with no problems like you're describing. Of course the 5.7 mpg was a bit of a problem as far as I'm concerned. Good thing I sold my 27' boat last summer. I can't imagine what kind of mileage I'd get towing that.

I'd be surprised if the problem is with your Tahoe but I'm no expert.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: tahoedave

Of course the 5.7 mpg was a bit of a problem as far as I'm concerned
WOW!!!! thats worse than the Hummer H1, The H1 gets like 8 on the freeway.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

I have an 07 LTZ and have pulled a 20 ft speedboat, 18 ft pontoon boat, 10 ft open trailer and 23 ft enclosed vnose trailer with no problems. The only thing close to a vibration was when the road had expansion joints that set up a vibration in the twin-axlevnose trailer, but once the road changed the vibration ended.

Most trailer tires are not balanced; this is usually not done; my guess is you have a severe tire balance issue. I would have a buddy pull the trailer and see if the problem occurs with a different tow vehicle. Also have someone follow you and have them take a close look at each trailer tire at those speeds and look for a shake. Also try switching the trailer tires and wheels from side-to-side, or try the spare if you have one.

I have towed all kinds of trailers big and small with 3 different vehicles in the past 10 years (98 xcab, 03 crewcab, and on 07 Tahoe) and have not noticed significant differences in vibration/noise/etc with any of the vehicles.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM
CF Junior Member

BTW I get 11.5-11.5MPG pulling my 23 ft vnose enclosedat 65-70MPH. Never gotten less than 10MPG towing anything; although I would guess a flat-nose trailer would really hurt MPG's versus the vnose.
Old June 14th, 2007, 3:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 LTZ and we have towed a 20' open texas roll back trailer with a vehicle on it with no vibration. We now have a 20' enclosed slope nose trailer that we have towed empty and with a car without the motor. When pulling the car without the motor we were pulling during severe cross winds. None of the times we have trailered have we had vibrations.

With the open trailer were were able to go 85mph. With the empty enclosed slope nose we were able to go 75, the trailer needed weight in it for faster than that. We didn't push above 70 with the severe winds since we were being whipped around before we hitched the trailer up.

The slope and v nose models do help with the gas mileage and with the stability of the tow. Our performance shop for our Nissan Z uses our slope nose trailer with a Titan and has towed a flat nose trailer with the Titan. When pulling the flat nose trailer, theyhad to go much slower and the gas mileage was worse. They said that the flat nose trailer was going back and forth. Mind you, the Titan does not have electric brakes installed.

I second the idea of having a buddy tow the trailer to see if they have the same issues. It definately will narrow down where the problem lies.
Old June 14th, 2007, 3:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As was mentioned previously trailer tires are rarely balanced and are often the culprit.

Pulling a trailer at 85mph is wreckless.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

As was mentioned previously trailer tires are rarely balanced and are often the culprit.

Pulling a trailer at 85mph is wreckless.
Or maybe wreckmore.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have a broken belt or cord in the tire and it is not obvious yet, but will be when the tire blows. Trailer tires are notorious for doing this and ALL ST rated trailer tires are rated for maximum of 65 mph.

Quick Reply: 07 tahoe pulling enclosed trailer