Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe sunroof exploded

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe sunroof exploded

Tonight as I was driving it sounded like a bomb went off. No cars around no debris or foreign objects as far as I could tell. It was scary as hell.The glass shattered and is held together by the film. Has this happened to anybody else on here? I know it sounds weird but I assure you it wasn't a thrown rock or debris.
Old April 8th, 2015, 6:20 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
I have seen a few other post over the years about this happening....
Old April 8th, 2015, 6:47 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pressure

air pressure? windows down?

On my Tesla it won't allow me to open or close the sunroof above 80 MPH for what is most likely this reason. (it can be open or closed, you just can't move it if you're over 80).

On my first wrangler, I had the 1/2 doors, and the air pressure would often bend them out! it's amazing what a small wind can do across the body of a large vehicle... you have to figure driving at 70 mph is like a house in a tornado... (well, not that bad, but it's not a light breeze).

A lot of car insurance offers 'glass coverage' at almost no out of pocket... I'd argue that a sunroof is glass...

I'm glad it was held in place w/plastic and you didn't get hurt, or glass all over the car.
Old April 8th, 2015, 7:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I can open my Tahoe's sun roof at any speed to the displeasure of all the passengers ears

The glass could have had the slightest of scratch or scoring on it, maybe it was warmer then the surroundings and cold air hit it just right, maybe its been under tension since the day it was installed and it finally gave....
Micro meteorite? rock or stone from passing vehicle? shick happens?
Old April 8th, 2015, 9:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sjt4718
Tonight as I was driving it sounded like a bomb went off. No cars around no debris or foreign objects as far as I could tell. It was scary as hell.The glass shattered and is held together by the film. Has this happened to anybody else on here? I know it sounds weird but I assure you it wasn't a thrown rock or debris.
Hello sjt4718,

We’re truly sorry to learn of the accident you experienced related to your sunroof and we’re relieved to know that you’re safe. Have you considered taking your vehicle into a certified Chevrolet dealership to address this concern? We’d be happy to research your sunroof concern further by reaching out to your preferred dealership. Feel free to send your VIN, contact information, mileage and preferred dealership to us in a private message. Thank you for your time and we look forward to your message.

All the best,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Approximately how fast were you traveling when the sunroof glass shattered?
Old June 27th, 2015, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's Mini Cooper was parked in the driveway when I heard a pop, went investigate and a rear side window had shattered into a million pieces but stayed in place. No sign of any impact but looking at the pattern it appeared it originated at a point on the edge of the glass. Probably a stress point.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
air pressure? windows down?

On my Tesla it won't allow me to open or close the sunroof above 80 MPH for what is most likely this reason. (it can be open or closed, you just can't move it if you're over 80).

On my first wrangler, I had the 1/2 doors, and the air pressure would often bend them out! it's amazing what a small wind can do across the body of a large vehicle... you have to figure driving at 70 mph is like a house in a tornado... (well, not that bad, but it's not a light breeze).

A lot of car insurance offers 'glass coverage' at almost no out of pocket... I'd argue that a sunroof is glass...

I'm glad it was held in place w/plastic and you didn't get hurt, or glass all over the car.
Your telsa won't let you open the sunroof over 80MPH mines let me close it because it started to rain so... Yours sounds very weird also I didn't know that their was another telsa owner on this forum I love my MS but 12v battery and center console going blank isn't particularly good.
Old July 8th, 2015, 1:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tesla

It seems like a good idea to me, over 80 the air pressure may cause damage. Not to mention that last few inches of it closing really hurts the ears.

soon as you back down to 70 or 75, you can move it.

I haven't had any 12v battery issues w/mine. I've had it since Feb 2015, and am 1,000 miles shy of putting 10,000 miles on it

I did manage to destroy the back tires pretty fast on mine... it's like driving a race car to work every day.
Old July 8th, 2015, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
It seems like a good idea to me, over 80 the air pressure may cause damage. Not to mention that last few inches of it closing really hurts the ears.

soon as you back down to 70 or 75, you can move it.

I haven't had any 12v battery issues w/mine. I've had it since Feb 2015, and am 1,000 miles shy of putting 10,000 miles on it

I did manage to destroy the back tires pretty fast on mine... it's like driving a race car to work every day.
I've already replaced the all my tires on my 2 twice in almost a year 4 months... My tires are dying just because I picked the 21'inch grey turbines they just can't even take potholes I have a scratch on the passenger side wheels now.Now I wish I got the 19's cyclones or the base wheels now I heard they last a lot longer also what trim is yours? Mines P85D red-multi coat metallic mines has every option except rear jump seats but then again I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do with this tahoe of mine thinking about getting a 2015 LTZ or just going to a local dealer and buy a MS off their lot. Decisions.Decisions huh what am I going to do....

Quick Reply: 07 Tahoe sunroof exploded