Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 tahoe battery problems

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2015 | 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default 08 tahoe battery problems

About 6 months ago I replaced the battery in my 08 tahoe then 3 months after that my battery dies again. I take it to autozone and they say the battery is fine so we argue for a little bit and they finally agree to give me a new one. So we get it in the car and get it started and everything's fine for a couple of months and then that one dies so we open the hood and the cables are loose so we tighten them and jump it off and it's fine for a couple a weeks and then dies again so we go have the alternator tested and it's fine. So it has to be something draining my battery right? I know this battery is probably bad since we had to charge it so many times. All the lights and everything is off as far as I know. Please help!!!
Old June 25th, 2015 | 8:36 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum....
There can be many reasons the battery is running down ( and you are probably right about having to replace this one because of multiple run downs)

*Check the battery cables for corrosion at all points
*Check that no interior lights are staying on, esp vanity lights on the visor
*Check to make sure nothing is being left plugged in to the 12v outlets, even chargers not connected to a device, use power.
* Check that the brake lights aren't staying on
*Check any trailer wire harnesses for shorts.
* remove any CD's or DVD's from all drives to ensure none are running even after the vehicle is turned off
* Check to see if your AC blower stays on after the vehicle is shut off ( After-blow is a feature used to help dry out the AC after the vehicle is turned off to prevent the musty smell)

Consider having a current draw test done to see how much is being drawn and for how long after RAP is turned off ( RAP is retained accessory power)
Removed various fuses 1 or 2 at a time to see if you can isolate the circuit that is causing the run down...

Keep us posted on what you find
Old June 26th, 2015 | 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

A very comprehensive check list from in2pro...
I'll add to remove clean and tighten securely ALL grounds.