Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 Tahoe Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2019, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Tahoe Transmission issues

Hi, new member but I have been to the forums on multiple occasions thanks to Google lol.
Here is what we have going on, a bit of a long read:

Our 08 Tahoe has been having a grinding sound coming from the transmission when reversing. I found that while reversing, if I pulled down slightly on the shifter, the noise would stop. After driving the vehicle for a while, the noise would also go away for the day.
On top of that, there were times that shifting INTO park would be tough and take more effort than should have been needed.
The grinding noise seemed to me like when shifting straight into reverse, the parking pawl wasn't getting all the way disengaged, so the pulling down on the shifter or shifting into drive and then back up to reverse was able to "fix" that problem.

The other day, the wife went to pick up our daughter, and after putting the tahoe in park, she was unable to shift OUT of park. After multiple attempts, I was able to get it to shift by jacking up the tahoe slightly (enough to relieve any pressure on the parking pawl from the slight hill she had parked on).

There are no issues in drive or neutral.

My question is this. Does this sound like possibly a transmission cable going bad or that is out of adjustment? Or something more serious?
Thanks!
Old April 1st, 2019, 3:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the noise. If you are not shutting down this way then start doing it every time even on level ground. Stop with the right foot on brake, hold it down, shift to N, Left foot down on a working Parking Brake to set it then shift to Park. Try this and see if it is easier to get out of Park the next time. Good habit to follow. Good luck. *BW*