Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 Tahoe Vibration

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2015, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Tahoe Vibration

<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have a 08 Tahoe LTZ there seems to be alot of vibration during acceleration..but once I get to the 70mph range it smooths out. Also if I turn the auto 4wd the issue seems to get better. When I switch it back to 2wd the issue is better but then slowly gets worse. Any ideas? Been reading alot about u joints is this an issue..just bought this in jan. and traded a trailblazer with many issues...Tahoe only has 65k miles on it...don't want it falling apart on me already. Any idea's before I head to a dealer would be nice.
Old April 15th, 2015, 2:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds early for a u-joint, but you can always climb underneath and move the driveshaft back and forth and check for play in it.

Mine was similar to this, I messed around with tire balancing, then one day on the lift looked at the u-joint. Sure enough it was wasted. The one closest to the rear end. The others looked and felt perfect. So I replaced that one and problem solved. It wasn't the first time it had been replaced I found out.

But my truck as 3 times the miles on it.
Old April 16th, 2015, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

That's what I thought it was too early. not sure if sitting can cause Ujoints to go early or not. For an 08 with 61K when I bought it, that's 8700miles a year so it wasn't driven that often. I drive 100 miles round trip to work everyday, don't normally drive this, but when I did in the winter put 4K on it in the 4 months I've had it.
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it could also be tires out of balance. To add to my post, when i first got the truck I had an odd vibration between 60-65 mph. Balancing fixed the issue. Mine is a daily driver as well as a tow vehicle. Later on it seemed to happen more often than i remembered, so tried balancing again, which didn't fix the issue. We looked at the u-joint which was pretty sloppy. Upon replacement, half the u-joint was completely shot...the bearings had turned into powder.

The easiest thing to do is just wiggle the u-joint around while its still installed. If it feels tight or has very little play, check into wheel balance. If it feels sloppy and generally looks beat to hell, look into the u-joints.

U-joints are much easier to install than you think. You can pick up a moog replacement for less than $20. OEM stuff a little bit more I think. I went with the moog one. I'm sure the one I used for the last 15k miles was not a oem.
Old April 17th, 2015, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Tires have been road forced balanced, was the first thing I thought of they were perfect. Also they are brand new too. Will look into the u-joint...this weekend and see if it's sloppy or not. Otherwise will take it in and see if they can figure it out.