Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 LTZ wheels yellowing

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 7:42 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 09 LTZ wheels yellowing

my '09 LTZ wheels are yellowing where the spokes meet the outside of the rims, on 2 of them.

Looking at other GMs with the same wheels, this seems to be sadly... common.

How do I fix it or is it covered under the paint warrenty?

thanks!
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd like to direct message you about this issue so I can look into it further and get you some resolution for your vehicle. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Addict

Default well

The PM asks for my name, address, phone and VIN...

That's an awful lot of info to give out on the internet to someone with 4 posts...

it's good that GM is reaching into the social media world, but I'm not one to give out such info so easily. I will get photos of the areas tonight and post them.

I've come across scams before and am very weary of giving out information.

In any case, I always handwash my vehicle or use no touch automatic on it (rarely and in the winter only, when its too cold for me to do it).

My 1995 Tahoe wheels showed less discoloration after 14 years and 285,000 miles than these do with 16,000 miles.

If, however you truely are from GM, I do have a list of improvments that would be very simple to do to the sat-nav system.
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:06 PM
CF Addict

Default well

swung by the dealer who suggested aluminum polish. spent 10 min at advance auto finding wheel polish for painted aluminum wheels with a clear coat.

hopefully tonight I will wash, dry truck, get photos of wheels (and scratch from wife opening the power lift gate into the house) and work on the problems, then photo results for everyone, detailing what I did...

also on the to-do list is rewiring the wife's car for a trailer, and rotating / washing her tires...
Old March 31st, 2010, 8:39 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Glad you didn't take the dealer's suggestion as aluminum polish would eventually cut thru the clear coat and then you're screwed.

My guess is something went wrong w/ the clear coat and it's turning yellow.
Old April 1st, 2010, 7:33 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

many said 'not safe on clear coat' so i wanted to be sure this one was.

I acutally used simple green + a small home made brush and that took a lot of the yellow off. I'm begining to think its something accumulating on the wheel, not from the clear coat.

I then used the polish stuff, and I wounldn't say its 100% better, but close to 70-80...

I could'nt get pictures at night, my garage isn't that well lit, maybe tonight.

Also, black wax is AMAZING. It covers the scratches like you wouldn't believe. I used that turtle wax color magic stuff... w/the black hard wax, and it turned a white pit on black paint back to a dark grey, then i waxed it w/the black wax... it's 95% gone.

the scratch I had in the back is 99.9% gone, unless your 900% **** about a clean truck and look at it from JUST the right angle (which is 1 foot off the ground) you will never see it. ever. I found a new favorite wax. Turtle wax even has a 'black car' kit at advance auto w/stuff for black vehicles....

Black is a whole new world for clean... what a pita... but so sexy! My wrangler is black too. I will be testing this wax more on it first... it's got LOTS of scratches from trees, people, dogs, etc... 4-wheeling!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

You probably do this anyway but just in case, don't let brake dust accumulate as it will attack the clear coat.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
CF Addict

Default dust

lol brake dust?! the whole truck gets washed (by hand) then dried (by hand) by me at least 1x a week including the wheels...

when I rotate the tires (again, me) i actually use simple green and a sponge and get the BACK of the rims as well... for mine and the wife's car... makes a HUGE difference... every 7500 or so miles...