Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 Suburban LTZ GPS Voice muffled

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2011, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Suburban LTZ GPS Voice muffled

Hey all,

Just recently, I noticed the voice prompts in my 09 LTZ sound muffled most of the time. Almost like a blown speaker ... hard (but not impossible) to understand. Any ideas?

I don't think it's a blown speaker because sometimes it sounds fine, and all other sounds sound fine. Since the problem first occured around July 1st, I thought it might be heat related, but even on cool days when stored in a garage, I have experienced the issue. Today, it started out garbled/muffled, then cleared up, then got muffled again.

Not quite sure where to diagnose. I do have a Coastaltech lockpick installed, but it was fine for many months after that installation.

Thanks much for any advice.
Old August 11th, 2011, 8:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

bth62,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Have you checked your speakers for dirt or any other type of debris that could be causing the muffled noise?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply!

Yep, it's definitely not the speakers. I unplugged the radio (took the dash plate off) and made sure all the connections were secure. Not sure if it did anything, or if unplugging/replugging forced it to reboot, but it's been fine for a couple of days.

I'll keep an eye (ear?) on it...
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stupid design

Speaker dirt? seriously? what about muffler bearings? did you write this with your left handed keyboard?

It may sound stupid, but did you check the GPS volume? it (stupidly) does not go up/down with your radio volume, it has a separate volume selector, that while it's speaking, you can adjust with the steering wheel volume buttons... or in the settings on the unit.

is it muffled or just turned down really low?

the GPS volume should be a % of the radio volume. I'll have the radio down, then the GPS will GO "HEY, TURN LEFT in 800 FEET" at 900 db. then some times I'll have the windows down, be doing 75 and have the radio blasting, and the gps goes "INSERT SONG HERE"... "hey, hey you, i turned down the music, but now it just sounds like the XM cut out..." "HEY XM BLASTING AGAIN"!

don't get me started on the 90 year old GPS / sat nav / XM setup... I'd say a 12 year old designed it, but after 5 years of ipod/ipad use I think a 12 year old could have done a better job.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah it's definitely not the volume thing, either. The volume level is fine, just muffled (regarless of the volume). Sometimes it will be clear, sometimes not (within a few seconds).

Since I pulled the power, though, it has been fine. We'll see how it goes...
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default good

good to know it wasn't the speaker dirt... that stuff can get nasty.