Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 suburban subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 suburban subwoofer

My 09 Suburban LTZ has the bose system -- I'm really no fan of bose, but that's another story. Short story is ... I can't hear anything from the sub -- my other old cars have had factory low-end systems, so I expected a little more low-end punch but just not getting it. I happened to be in a rental car (new sebring) and wow, even for a rental, the low end was much more powerful.

I don't go rumbling down the street but wondering if the sub isn't working. I've read it's in the center console -- any good tips on testing it out?
Old November 13th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Junior Member

What a coincidence...I just left the shop that is installing my audio/video uprade in my 2011 LT1500 and I snapped some pics of the "sub" under the center console.

I've had the Sub for a week and half now and I seriously didn't think I had a subwoofer at all.

PICS of Bose Sub - It looks like a 5" woofer
Name:  SuburbanUpgradePhotosSet1037.jpg
Views: 10078
Size:  4.32 MB
Name:  SuburbanUpgradePhotosSet1038.jpg
Views: 8343
Size:  3.92 MB
Old November 13th, 2010, 5:40 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree, the Bose sub is pretty weak. In fact the whole Bose system is pretty weak.

However so I won't be accused of bagging on Bose, I must relate what a Bose engr posted here or in another forum. GM gave them a price target which was very low and then they have to do the best they can and meet the target. I've listened to Bose HT systems and they'll knock your socks off so I know they can do better.
Old November 13th, 2010, 7:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
I agree, the Bose sub is pretty weak. In fact the whole Bose system is pretty weak.

However so I won't be accused of bagging on Bose, I must relate what a Bose engr posted here or in another forum. GM gave them a price target which was very low and then they have to do the best they can and meet the target. I've listened to Bose HT systems and they'll knock your socks off so I know they can do better.
I concur as far as HT...seeing what comes stock as far as speakers in the Bose setup for the Suburban is pretty typical for GM cars. The front and rear speakers were dissapointing. The sub is a joke...I know they are known for their small speakers in a band pass enclosures but in the automotive environment you need a little bit more cojones to offset road and engine noise.

The combination of the 10W1 under the front console and the TW5 in the rear custom enclosure in my setup should do the trick...

TO the OP...as far as testing the sub if it is working...you might have to pull it out and run a test tone through it. I'm not an installer so I might be barking up the wrong tree or they maybe a different method of testing. I am sure someone more technically savvy will speak up...
Old November 13th, 2010, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I might make friends or enemies by saying this, but I haven't found any Bose system that can stand up to mid or high grade consumer stuff. I had a car years ago (89 maxima with Bose) and I think Bose generally sounds good in cars, but I'm always comparing to standard factory audio gear which is like comparing Home Theater gear to TV built-in speakers

Not trying to crap on 'em, but if Bose says, "Well, we had to reach a low price point" -- if it were my product rep on the line, I'd walk away. Having said that, I'm reasonably happy with the sound in my suburban, except for the low end. If it's a 5" sub, I'm not sure that's physically capable of going very low.

AMGfan -- thx for the picts! I have to recheck because I don't even remember seeing a grill for the sub that looks like your picture. I definitely saw some gear down in the console when I swapped out the cup holder assembly... What kind of upgrades did you do?
Old November 13th, 2010, 8:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bth62
AMGfan -- thx for the picts! I have to recheck because I don't even remember seeing a grill for the sub that looks like your picture. I definitely saw some gear down in the console when I swapped out the cup holder assembly... What kind of upgrades did you do?
I started a build thread with pics and a list of upgrades on the forum...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/amgfan-2011-suburban-lt1500-build-37444/
Old November 13th, 2010, 8:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

if Bose says, "Well, we had to reach a low price point" -- if it were my product rep on the line, I'd walk away.
How very true, as a consumer I would think that exactly...I see the Bose name on the speakers and think "Bose" not "GM"....as sucking....
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, I might make friends or enemies by saying this, but I haven't found any Bose system that can stand up to mid or high grade consumer stuff.

Are you talking Bose auto systems or Bose in general?

Originally posted by in2pro > How very true, as a consumer I would think that exactly...I see the Bose name on the speakers and think "Bose" not "GM"....as sucking....
The people that buy Bose home systems probably don't buy cars/trucks w/ their cheap systems in them. Just a thought.

Last edited by 73shark; November 13th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The people that buy Bose home systems probably don't buy cars/trucks w/ their cheap systems in them. Just a thought.
True, and I'm not hashing on Bose. I have Onkyo home equipment so the Bose in my vehicle was my exposure to Bose equipment first hand and well, its not impressive...and I think that was bth62 point.. but I have to admit when I first saw the Bose name in my truck I had some expectations.. and I do give it credit as its solid sound even at max volume but no one is going to hear you coming down the street a block away...
Old November 14th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Are you talking Bose auto systems or Bose in general?
Bose in general. I'm somewhat new around here so I generally don't like sounding so opinionated, but it is my opinion.

In cars I'm personally not that concerned and find the Bose system acceptable.

Quick Reply: 09 suburban subwoofer