Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

12 Suburban back hatch and locks malfunction

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2018, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Suburban back hatch and locks malfunction

I bought a 2012 Suburban, just over 100,000 miles on it, in January from a local Chevy dealership. 20 days later my wife was stopped at a red light when she was rear ended full speed by a guy without insurance. The speed limit on that road is 45 and he was in a huge hurry so I believe he hit her closer to 50. The impact moved our truck forward about 20 feet and the car went under the truck. Shortly after the wreck the suburban started having an issue where the back hatch would not register as closed so the dome light would remain on and the truck would sporadically try and lock itself. This would occur very randomly and seemed to get progressively worse over time. Eventually we started having an issue where our back hatch when opened would open half way, start to close, then immediately start to open again, would change direction again before locking out with a loud snapping sound. Our body shop was unable to fix the issue so we eventually took it to our Chevy dealership to figure it out. They replaced a module and some box which apparently deals with the automatic timing. We get it back tomorrow but I'm not convinced the issue is going to be resolved. Has anyone experience something similar or knows what needs to be fixed? My insurance company has straight denied that there is anyway its related to the wreck and the Chevy mechanic has completely avoided placing fault on anything. I have a hard time believing the impact from the wreck hasn't caused this issue and that is is just completely coincidental that I started having this issue immediately after the wreck. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 5:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemops
I bought a 2012 Suburban, just over 100,000 miles on it, in January from a local Chevy dealership. 20 days later my wife was stopped at a red light when she was rear ended full speed by a guy without insurance. The speed limit on that road is 45 and he was in a huge hurry so I believe he hit her closer to 50. The impact moved our truck forward about 20 feet and the car went under the truck. Shortly after the wreck the suburban started having an issue where the back hatch would not register as closed so the dome light would remain on and the truck would sporadically try and lock itself. This would occur very randomly and seemed to get progressively worse over time. Eventually we started having an issue where our back hatch when opened would open half way, start to close, then immediately start to open again, would change direction again before locking out with a loud snapping sound. Our body shop was unable to fix the issue so we eventually took it to our Chevy dealership to figure it out. They replaced a module and some box which apparently deals with the automatic timing. We get it back tomorrow but I'm not convinced the issue is going to be resolved. Has anyone experience something similar or knows what needs to be fixed? My insurance company has straight denied that there is anyway its related to the wreck and the Chevy mechanic has completely avoided placing fault on anything. I have a hard time believing the impact from the wreck hasn't caused this issue and that is is just completely coincidental that I started having this issue immediately after the wreck. Help would be greatly appreciated.
To hell with mechanical issues. You need a GREAT accident injury attorney. After all, your wife suffered from a whiplash injury, so she needs to be compensated for that, at the very least.

Take this ***-clown to court and make him pay through the nose. I see well too many idiots like this drive like crazy. Tailgating has become normal, and speeds well over the posted speed limits are ignored by far too many so-called "drivers". I drive semi-trucks for a living, so there is no tailgating or high speeds for a professional like me.

BTW, did the police check this dude for drugs or alcohol use?

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 2nd, 2018 at 5:53 AM.
Old August 4th, 2018, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

I honestly don’t think it would be worth my time to take this guy the court. Even when I win I’m going to have to spend time and money trying to collect money he doesn’t have. I would rather my insurance company just cover it so I can move on with life.

The mechanic I was dealing with ended up determining my issue was from a faulty Hall Effect switch which they replaced. Got it back yesterday and so far no issues. I can’t find much out about the specific part so can it be damaged or knocked out of snyc from the impact? From what I understand about it I would think so but I need something more concrete to get my insurance to cover it
Old August 4th, 2018, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

When you get hit that hard and things start going wrong in the back of the rig it's going to be tied to the impact every time. Shame on your insurance company - which company are you with? I encourage lawyer as well just to make the other guy's life more miserable. Who knows, maybe he will get a big inheritance someday that will come your way.
Old August 7th, 2018, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

USAA. Its been a pretty terrible overall experience with them so I'm on my way out the door. I may talk to a lawyer but I'm just not confident I'm getting any money out of this guy. The lady I'm dealing with when on this long rant about how awesome they are and that if there was any doubt at all that it could have been caused by the wreck, she would gladly pay out.
Old August 7th, 2018, 4:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

My family has been using USAA for over 60 years (3 generations) and has always been treat well. Time to talk with someone higher up the ladder I think