Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1992 Suburban Transmission

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2010, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Suburban Transmission

We hit a deer last week and have our "normal" car in the shop being repaired. Unfortunately, our "full coverage" insurance didn't provide for a rental. Being poor, I needed to get my old suburban working properly. I just paid a mobile mechanic to come and replace the heater core and then we had to return the rental today. Upon leaving the rental place, the suburban just wouldn't shift into 2nd or 3rd. I had notice that the last month or so when I had to take it to work, it would rev up when I was driving down the highway, but then be OK. Anyway, I had the transmission fluid checked and they had to add a lot of it. Afterwards, it still didn't shift properly. I starts and shifts into first, then when it gets around 40mph, it just won't shift. A friend told me to check some stuff when I got home and this is what I did: checked the color of the fluid (it was clear with redish tint), checked the level (was at "hot" as engine running and put in R), checked the smell (no burning smell). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change the filter and fluid and hope for the best, when the trans fluid is real low like you hag it, it tends to burn out the clutches, torque converter and pump, but change the fluid and filter and your problems may go away.........may as well build a chevy shrine and worship it too, u will need all the help u can get...
Old November 7th, 2010, 3:47 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum and hey ya'll fellow Austinite....
sounds like a solenoid could be bad
I have had good luck with Ike's transmission on Anderson lane if you choose to take it in...

Last edited by in2pro; November 7th, 2010 at 3:50 PM.