Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1992 Suburban eletrical problems

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Suburban eletrical problems

My 92 Suburban only has 80k original miles on it. It's pretty much a stripped Cheyenne package truck. Everything has been great until this recent cold spell. I had to boost charge/start it the other morning when it went below zero during the night. Now I have some very weird things going on.......I have a noise when the stereo isn't on coming through the speaker. It's that eletrical whine that gets louder with higher rpms. Also, when I hit my brakes the marker lights all come on. If I dont have my lights on, turn signals work fine, if I turn my lights on, right signal works, left wont work.......blinker stays solid and nothing flashes. This all started when I had my battery go dead and had to boost start it. Another wied one was the radio suddenly was displaying military time? I didn't do anything to it and it went back to standard time? I'm abotu ready to go unhook my battery for about ten minutes and see if a rest fixes any of these problems? Nay ideas of what coul cause so many unrelated problems? Underneath the dash on the drivers side there is a singel green wire with a plug on the end and it is not plugged into anythign. I crawled up there and cannot see anythingthat looks like it was plugged into it. I am completley and udderly conused by this one!!!
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weird...but anyway, your light problem is probably your taillight bulbs. They are probably blown or you have wrong bulbs in the taillamps. The Amp rating is too high.
Old January 26th, 2011, 2:17 AM
CF Beginner

It was too late to go out and check last night, but my wondering and your reply has given me something to check out today in the day light......I have a trailer light plug, it's been crappy cold and snowy here the last two weeks. I'm wondering also if the booster charge is completely unrelated....maybe I have one of my splices pulled apart from snow or ice hanging on it and I have a short between my wires back there. I know I've had some big chunks of ice hanging from the back a couple of times, I may have pulled somethign loose just enough that they are touching each other, but still have connectivity? I can check that out today in the day light. I haven't changed any of the bulbs since I got the truck almost two yrs ago.....so I don't see that as a cause. Thanks for your help so far....any ideas are better than none and will eventually lead me down the right road!
Old January 26th, 2011, 8:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you have a trailer plug and those wires are spliced into your taillight wires, there could be corrosion, rust or water in there in the socket.
Old January 26th, 2011, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

yep....I had a t-plug in and when I unplugged my t-splice and reattached the factory plugs all my problems were fixed! So when I got hime from work I pulled the t-splice out and found it had a slice between two of the terminals with corrosion between them. I checked continuity and they are groundign to each other! Thanx for the point in the right direction!
Old August 13th, 2015, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1992 Chevy cheyenne 2500 help!

Need help with starting
Okay so my 1992 Chevy cheyenne won't start when I turn the key, I checked everything and then there's a loose connection by my pedals, a yellow wire and a purple wire running side by side into one connection, I'm sure that's the starter wire but where does it hook In to? Help!