Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1995 Suburban C1500 no start, good battery

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2017 | 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 1995 Suburban C1500 no start, good battery

Drove the old Burb over to Lowe's today to pick up some drawer pulls. Walked back out and got in the truck and she no startey.

Well, probably the battery's shot, I figure, which means the alternator's probably on its last legs as well. Luckily there was an NTB in the parking lot, so I went over there and got a new battery.

Put the new battery in, same condition. All lights on dash, no start. No solenoid noise, no relay click, nothing.

Well, I had to work, so I came back later ready for AAA to tow her home. Got in the truck to wait for the tow, turned the key just for fun, started up on the second try.

Any thoughts of where to look?
Old January 26th, 2017 | 3:24 PM
CF Monarch

When it left you stranded at Lowe's, you say no start? Was it no crank? Got it to your house, started second crank. My guess is starter solenoid. i'd also suggest look at the battery cables also.
Old January 26th, 2017 | 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
When it left you stranded at Lowe's, you say no start? Was it no crank? Got it to your house, started second crank. My guess is starter solenoid. i'd also suggest look at the battery cables also.
When it didn't want to crank it was complete silence. No click, no sound of solenoid engaging, nothing.

Cables look used but okay. Guess I'll have to get underneath and see what the starter end of the cables look like.

I was thinking something like a fuse but it's weird that it decided to work later on.
Old January 26th, 2017 | 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by jhodgson
When it didn't want to crank it was complete silence. No click, no sound of solenoid engaging, nothing.

Cables look used but okay. Guess I'll have to get underneath and see what the starter end of the cables look like.

I was thinking something like a fuse but it's weird that it decided to work later on.
Won't be a fuse or fuseable link, those only are good for one shot if they blow. Loose connection, yes, or cable. Probably, reading your issue really sounds like the starter solenoid. Has the starter ever "dragged" when cranking?
Old January 26th, 2017 | 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

I have noticed it's seemed slow the last couple of days but I thought that was just low battery.

It seems faster now with a brand new battery in it though.
Old January 26th, 2017 | 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

My 93 did this, also in a hardware store lot. Ran great getting there, no crank to go home. found a wire on the starter solenoid had broken off.
Old January 26th, 2017 | 10:40 PM
Administrator

Another possibility is the ignition switch. Not sure where they are these days but used to be on the steering column near the firewall.
Old January 31st, 2017 | 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

In case anyone wonders, it was the starter.

Tested the battery with a meter. All good there.

I got underneath and pulled the starter wire off, then put a meter on that and turned the key. Saw it was getting voltage.

Replaced the starter with a reman unit. Fires up with barely a touch of the key now.

Good times.
Old February 1st, 2017 | 12:45 AM
Administrator

Thanks for reporting back. Might help someone in the future.