Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1995 Suburban no overhead dome lights?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Suburban no overhead dome lights?

Hi all,

Great forum and has already helped me out a load.

I've got a 1995 suburban here in France so any help on anything that isn't European is limited over here. It's been sat around a while before my purchase and is undergoing a little TLC.

I have a slight issue I can't work out however, the overhead dome lights do not work.

When I open the doors or use the override switch the lights under the dash and in the doors all operate as they should but the overhead lights (not map reading lights) do not which is quite a pain.

I wouldn't know where to start and couldn't find anything similar in a search on the forum, any pointers please?

Thanks in advance
Old January 23rd, 2016, 7:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No simple fix since the under-dash lights are working. Unless you didn't check the bulb. (The door switches, panel switch, and fuses are probably OK.) Try to find the wiring harness coming from the overhead dome lights. Check the connectors for corrosion or loose wires. Are the map lights working?
Old January 23rd, 2016, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for response.

Yes all bulbs, fuses and switches working as they should. Door lights, under dash lights and map lights work.

Map lights only work when doors are closed so assume this is deliberate?

Could I take a power supply for them from elsewhere or is this is a case of pulling it all down to check the original wiring?
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by philsmith
Map lights only work when doors are closed so assume this is deliberate?
Weird, the map lights should work all the time. Can you check for 12V at the dome/map lights? The 12V power should be there all the time, the map light works when the switch closes the circuit to ground. Check to see if the ground wire in the dome light is bad. You should be able to check the wiring without pulling the headliner down. Just need to find the other end where it comes down from the roof.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks.

Removed the middle overhead light console with map lights for first row of rear seats and once I disconnected it the front map lights stopped working...

Connect it back up and the front map lights work again.

Turn on the map lights on this overhead console and the door lights come on...

When I disconnected this console I had no power at the connector.

A little confused to say the least!