Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1996-1999 Suburban 2nd Row folding seat wont slide back

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2024, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996-1999 Suburban 2nd Row folding seat wont slide back

1996 K1500, seat is in upright position does that fine, used to slide from when I bought it in 2021, now stuck 3-4 inches in front of the 60 portion of the 60/40 split bench. Stopped sliding last summer.

I do know there are various springs/wires under the seat but can't figure out what happened.
Old May 6th, 2024, 2:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you talking about the tilt/slide mechanism, or adjusting front to back in general?

If you figure it out, I'm all ears. My DRIVERS seat (60/40 split bench) on my 1996 C1500 has this same problem. It's stuck somewhere like 1/3 of the way from the very front of the track, and only seems to slide an inch or two either way when the release is pulled. I am talking here about the adjusting mechanism - not the tilt/slide release.

I had the tilt/slide stop working on my passenger side front seat, and it was a broken cable/spring that ran between the two sides of the mechanism under the seat. I spotted it laying up under there, traced the two ends, and was able to fabricate a piece of coat hanger wire into a replacement for the broken spring thing between the release on the two tracks. You may have something like that going on.

Last edited by jfmorris; May 6th, 2024 at 2:28 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I DO have that issue tbh. I did remove the seat and there was a wire out of place or something. I hope it’s still there or I’ll have to fabricate something like you said. Thank you for responding you helped me remember. I’ll try to look for the diagram and post it. I work at a Chevrolet dealership so I might be able to get your driver seat diagram too.
Originally Posted by jfmorris
Are you talking about the tilt/slide mechanism, or adjusting front to back in general?

If you figure it out, I'm all ears. My DRIVERS seat (60/40 split bench) on my 1996 C1500 has this same problem. It's stuck somewhere like 1/3 of the way from the very front of the track, and only seems to slide an inch or two either way when the release is pulled. I am talking here about the adjusting mechanism - not the tilt/slide release.

I had the tilt/slide stop working on my passenger side front seat, and it was a broken cable/spring that ran between the two sides of the mechanism under the seat. I spotted it laying up under there, traced the two ends, and was able to fabricate a piece of coat hanger wire into a replacement for the broken spring thing between the release on the two tracks. You may have something like that going on.
Old May 6th, 2024, 3:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996Suburban
I think I DO have that issue tbh. I did remove the seat and there was a wire out of place or something. I hope it’s still there or I’ll have to fabricate something like you said. Thank you for responding you helped me remember. I’ll try to look for the diagram and post it. I work at a Chevrolet dealership so I might be able to get your driver seat diagram too.
Good luck!

This is probably NOT the right diagram - just something found in quick search, but what I remember working on for the passenger side of my truck front seat was a cable/wire similar to the one marked by "14" in this image:

The one that broke had a small spring formed into the wire at each end, and was just straight between the two ends, which had a hook that engaged with a release on each side of the track. It was all somehow tripped by the tip/slide lever on the side of the seat. Like I said, I was able to form a replacement out of a coat hanger, and that was years ago.

My truck is a 1996 C1500 Cheyenne extended cab, with the apparently VERY rare 60/40 split bench, with no center console or arm rest. I can't find after market foam or decent seat covers for this truck, as almost all of the 60/40 splits for 96 and later are ones that have a big folding armrest in the middle - mine is a full bench, with the 60% split on the drivers side, 40 on the passenger side. Before 96, it was reversed, with a 40/60 split (40% on the driver side).

I would love to find foam or covers for it, short of paying an upholstery shop big bucks to do custom work on the broken down front seat...