Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 Suburban Head Gasket/Block Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Suburban Head Gasket/Block Problems

Had a new engine installed August 2008, check engine light has continuously come on, mechanic could not find code and kept telling me to drive car it would take care of itself. I manufacture fuel additives one of them which actually helps clean out carbon and in many cases has helped customers who had check engine light problems so I listened to the mechanic as a new engine should not have had formation of carbon deposits so soon after installed,

Throughout the year I have kept getting the same response and now last week the vehicle overheated without any warning at all, when having the car towed to the mechanic he advised that the block was cracked and that this could only happen from the overheating, and the only solution would be to replace the engine another $3K.

Does any one know if there is a correlation between the check engine light and the overheating, mechanic keeps telling me check engine light only applies to exhaust issues.

Thanks in advance
Old October 20th, 2009, 2:19 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a new mechanic, a 1997 has OBD II electronics that monitor just about anything, if you don't have a temperature gage to watch the check engine light could be related to over heating as well.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off A new engine will not cause a check engine light. Second it can not "take care of its self". They only way to know if it had something to do with it would be to know exactly what the codes were. It is not likely that it did. What about a warranty on the engine? Why did it overheat? Was the part that failed causing it to overheat replaced with the engine?