Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 Tahoe Refurbishing-Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2013, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 Tahoe Refurbishing-Need Advice

Hi, thinking about purchasing a 1996-1999 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.7 350. I want to refurbish the truck and make it as safe and dependable as possible. First I'm going to redo all the brakes and replace the shocks. I'd also like to replace any old crucial part, ie Alternator, water pump, power steering pump ect. I'd also like to do some restoration on the motor, but i'm not going to purchase a truck that is so bad off that it needs to have a total rebuild. Is there anything I can do to the engine to clean it up? Maybe remove the valve covers and clean the cams and rockers of sludge? Any advice would be recommended. I'd like to get the truck to the point where I can jump in this tahoe and go anywhere without it breaking down. Any words of wisdom? Thanks.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Ahh... the refreshingly good attitude of preventative maintenance

I'd go with the brakes and shocks, fluid changes, but as for any sludge under the valve covers... if its there its in many other places, and knocking it loose and sending it to another place in the engine may not be a good thing...

I would go with regular oil changes about every 4k miles and only fix what's broke... even a new alternator can fail 6 months later....

Also consider a coolant change and new hoses if that missed your list...
replace vacuum, PCV and EVAP hoses....
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
Ahh... the refreshingly good attitude of preventative maintenance

I'd go with the brakes and shocks, fluid changes, but as for any sludge under the valve covers... if its there its in many other places, and knocking it loose and sending it to another place in the engine may not be a good thing...

I would go with regular oil changes about every 4k miles and only fix what's broke... even a new alternator can fail 6 months later....

Also consider a coolant change and new hoses if that missed your list...
replace vacuum, PCV and EVAP hoses....
thanks a bunch. Also, where are the pcv valves themselves and are they easy to change? EVAP and vacuum lines are a good idea as well which. Though im not too familiar with the evap system. thanks again.