Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1998 Suburban Transfer Case Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2017, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Suburban Transfer Case Help Needed

I am trying to help my ex fix her truck before Winter gets too bad so that my kids can have a safe vehicle to travel in. She bought the truck not knowing it had a bad transfer case, I am guessing it was on it's last legs and developed some form of pump rub and wore a hole through the housing, leaking fluid everywhere. We found a rebuilt NP246 NP8 I believe, the version for the electronic 4wd buttons, and got it installed. The problem is that the transfer case was from a 2003 I believe, and the actuator has a 7 pin rectangular connector, whereas I believe the truck originally came with a 5 pin square connector. On top of that, it appears the original plug had for some reason been cut off, leaving just the wires. Is there a way to make this setup work, an adapter from the 5 pin to 7, assuming I can rewire the plug. Would it be easier to simply replace the entire harness? Could I replace the original 5 pin harness with a 7 pin harness? I have tried googling this over and over and keep coming up empty, could really use some advice from the pros. Thank you from Wyoming.
Old November 20th, 2017, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or am I way off base, and the 1998 should have had the 7 pin from the factory? I guess I need to go count wires.
Old November 20th, 2017, 3:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My son replaced his in a 2000, and I am pretty sure it had a 5 pin. That case also came out of an 02. I am sure the motor is exchangeable.