Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Chevy Suburban (and Introduction)

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2009, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Suburban (and Introduction)

Hey guys,
So I am new to the forum, but not new to cars. My father has a 1999 Chevy Suburban LT 1500. I know nothing about it (as I am a Euro guy (flamesuit on)). Im trying to get it ready to tow a 3 ton muscle car back from the complete other side of the state. Im in washington so it will have to tow this behemoth of a car up through the mountains. The Burban has 130k miles on it, it leaks oil and just needs some TLC. Its a pretty cool truck. Hauls stuff everywhere without problems. Now this is where I need help.

I have never dealt with something this high of milage. What should the burban need to bring the american muscle back home? I know I need to find the oil leak. Most likely a valve cover gasket. Any other recommendations? Is there good DIY's and shops out there to look for? Like I said, I only know euro. Its a V8 and says Vortec on top. Id appreciate any help (relevant or not).

Thanks guys.
Old August 17th, 2009, 5:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by influencetigator
Hey guys,
So I am new to the forum, but not new to cars. My father has a 1999 Chevy Suburban LT 1500. I know nothing about it (as I am a Euro guy (flamesuit on)). Im trying to get it ready to tow a 3 ton muscle car back from the complete other side of the state. Im in washington so it will have to tow this behemoth of a car up through the mountains. The Burban has 130k miles on it, it leaks oil and just needs some TLC. Its a pretty cool truck. Hauls stuff everywhere without problems. Now this is where I need help.

I have never dealt with something this high of milage. What should the burban need to bring the american muscle back home? I know I need to find the oil leak. Most likely a valve cover gasket. Any other recommendations? Is there good DIY's and shops out there to look for? Like I said, I only know euro. Its a V8 and says Vortec on top. Id appreciate any help (relevant or not).

Thanks guys.
first in order is a welcome...so welcome...as for this burb..if your wanting to get back without problems do some preventive maintenance...i would do a good tune up (use ac delco parts on that burb)plugs/wires/dist/rotor/
aircleaner(pcv valve just incase)change the oil in the engine,if money permits i would flush the tranny,and change the oil and filter while your there.fuel filter change.hopefully it's as easy as a valve cover gasker.....dont tow in overdrive no matter who says what...that should get you there unless your running on 6 cylinders....still might be ok...took my chevy with 7 cylinders from california to colorado....spitting oil in the cylinder fouling the plug all while towing a 12 foot trailer over the mountains.... i would also change the gear oil in the rearend...better safe....GOOD LUCK

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 17th, 2009 at 5:29 PM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Haha Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will check out AC delco right now. I am going to do preventive maintenance. I am hoping its just a valve cover gasket. It runs just fine to. Pulls hard and accels smoothly.
Old August 17th, 2009, 5:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Haha Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will check out AC delco right now. I am going to do preventive maintenance. I am hoping its just a valve cover gasket. It runs just fine to. Pulls hard and accels smoothly.

those rear ends are a weak link when towing...yeah pulls hard and accels smooth...i bet your ready for some fullsize fun
Old August 17th, 2009, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Totally. What do you mean by the rear end being a weak link? What can I do to help it?
Old August 17th, 2009, 6:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Totally. What do you mean by the rear end being a weak link? What can I do to help it?
those 10 bolt rears are able to hold what your doing for short periods...do it everyday and it wouldn't last very long...ive had a 10 bolt completly blow up in the rear of my 89 chevy while towing to much to often....

if you dont recall the last change ...change it to be safe....you could get an aluminum cover which is suppose to cool it under hot conditions...and good gear oil....
Old August 17th, 2009, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Ooh okay I see. Yeah we have never towed anything with it, ever. It drives maybe 20 miles a day, 5 days a week. I will change it. Thanks for the heads up