Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 K1500 Suburban 4WD with sluggish transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2017, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 K1500 Suburban 4WD with sluggish transmission

194,000 miles on a Chevy Suburban. Yes, I know...what do I expect from a vehicle with that many miles? Well, Ol' Bessie has been good to our family for 18 years and we want to keep her going!
She runs great except for what I'd call a "sluggish transmission". It never has leapt off the starting line, but there is definitely a loss of torque when getting from 0-60 mph. Very slow in getting up to speed. Regular oil changes and tranny flushes. Fluid is red - not burnt. No metal in the pan after the last flush (5K miles ago). There are no check engine lights on. All gears engage when getting up to speed. The engine is tight, so my belief is something in the tranny has worn down ... or something. Based on the typical problems presented in the forums and YouTube, it doesn't seem to fit the problems associated with the solenoid or the clutch pack. It doesn't miss any gears, it just is, well, sluggish. Maybe to be expected at this mileage? Or, is there something I can do to get another 20K out of her? Thanks in advance for your help!