Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 suburban 2wd 1500 noisy rearend

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suburban 2wd 1500 noisy rearend

I would like to swap a complete rearend into my sub which has 166k on it. The rearend in it sounds like it is about to come apart. Can anyone tell me what rearends will bolt in with no problems. Will a pickup rearend fit? What year range will fit?
Old August 19th, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 88-99 OBS make sure it is out of a 2wd because they are narrower than the ones out of the 4wd but pretty much tahoe, suburban, pickup 1500 will fit
Old August 19th, 2009, 9:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to know your gear ratio in the front and match it in the rear. YOu have to know if you have 30 or 28 spline axles. YOu have to know also if you have a 8.5 inch rear end.
Old August 19th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he does not need to match the front because there is not a front in the title
Old August 19th, 2009, 9:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh duh it is two wheel drive! But he will have to match the axle splines unless he just gets the whole axle assembly and puts everything in there including the axle shafts!
Old August 20th, 2009, 9:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ibmer
I would like to swap a complete rearend into my sub which has 166k on it. The rearend in it sounds like it is about to come apart. Can anyone tell me what rearends will bolt in with no problems. Will a pickup rearend fit? What year range will fit?
first off how mechanicaly inclined are you?to take the entire rear apart for a possible worn carrier is alot of work...an easy quick fix would to pull the cover off,pull the axles out ,remove the carrier,install new carrier,iv'e done this entire job in about three hours..it's really not all that diffucult..if you want to rip the whole rear out removing many many parts to install a new one is a full day job..that would be my last choice...once you open up the rear it's real simple.....
Old August 20th, 2009, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I was not sure if a pickup rearend would fit but that sounds good. There a a million of them out there. As for taking the current rearend apart I would not do that on a bet. I have been aroud almost 70 years and I have never seen or heard tell of a chevy rearend being simple to work on . Maybe so if you have been in there alot, but not me. I can swap the whole assembly in about a half day.It would not really matter if it took me all day.I don't have anything much else to do.

Last edited by ibmer; August 20th, 2009 at 9:28 PM.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ibmer
Thanks for the info. I was not sure if a pickup rearend would fit but that sounds good. There a a million of them out there. As for taking the current rearend apart I would not do that on a bet. I have been aroud almost 70 years and I have never seen or heard tell of a chevy rearend being simple to work on . Maybe so if you have been in there alot, but not me. I can swap the whole assembly in about a half day.It would not really matter if it took me all day.I don't have anything much else to do.

wow that's fantastic,still wrenching at 70 years young..i love it....good luck and keep us informed on your progress....you should document/take pics of the tear down so if any other members have questions on this same subject(i know someone will)the answer will be straight foward..