Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban bad oil pressure sedning unit

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2017, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban bad oil pressure sedning unit

New guy on the block. My 1999 Suburban (old body style) 3/4 ton with 454 V-8 and 4L80E transmission has developed a bad oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit.

I thought it shouldn't be a big deal to change it. Bought the new sending unit and a special socket to fit it.

Got back to the vehicle and got the socket on the sendor, and could not break it loose. So I added about a 4 inch cheater pipe to give me more pulling power. And the sending unit rounded off. Now the socket slips on it.

I don't see much of anyway to reach it get it out unless the upper and lower intake removal would give me access. Only other alternative I see is to pull the engine so I can get something onto what is left of the sending unit still in the block.

Anyone else run across this problem? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old December 28th, 2017, 6:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Not seeing it, I can only suggest mixing epoxy, then filling up the area within the socket, and unit. Let it setup, that may keep the socket from slipping.
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One tough situation. Soak the threaded area with PB Blaster. Also, I’ve seen sockets with a “cutting edge” that that are made to remove lug nuts, but if you try this, get prepared to remove the intake if this fails. I think you can probably get a pipe wrench on it with the intake removed, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

SD