Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 suburban no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2015, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suburban no brake lights

So, i have power at the fuse, all lights in the back work, except the brake lights and third brake light. I put my test light to the yellow wire, on the plug to each tail light plug, nothing, turn on the hazards, test light on the yellow wire blinks. so i guess thats telling me that the wire(s) are good because the hazards work, right? Ive also replaced the brake light switch. I know the hazards and brake light are on the same circuit,right? So does that mean the multi function switch (turn/hazard) is bad? Thank you for an help!
Old December 27th, 2015, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

when you turn your signal light on your flasher doesen,t flash right.did you notice if the light lights up but don,t flash,it could be your flasher.you could try another flasher as that type of system uses a dual flasher relay.if not then it sounds like you are gonna need a signal/hazard switch.
Old December 28th, 2015, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Don't think it has anything to do with the flasher? As I said, everything, turn signals, hazards, and parking lights all work, front and rear. The brake lights and third brake light do not work. Could the flasher have something to do with that? I was thinking it was the turn signal/hazard switch
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Active Member

its starting to look that way ,you may need to replace your turn signal switch.you pretty much covered all of your bases.did you check the harness at the steering column where the signal switch wiring is attached.
Old December 28th, 2015, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

I have not checked the harness yet, going to as soon as I get hoe. I'll let ya know and thanks!
Old December 28th, 2015, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

When I get home I meant lol
Old December 28th, 2015, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

So, plug in the new multi switch (turn signal switch), Same problem! checked the wire harness, everything is fine!? Just to re-eterate.....ALL the lights work---turn signals, hazards, parking, no 3rd or brakes lights? Im stumped!!The yellow wire at the rear tail lights is power to the hazard and brake lights, so i know there is no break, or ground problem in the harness. HELP!! and thank you!
Old December 28th, 2015, 4:50 PM
CF Active Member

did you check the power to the brake switch and power coming out of the brake switch.if you haven,t check it.there is also a splice in the wiring circuit .
Old December 28th, 2015, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

i haven't had a chance to check that, only made sure the new switch was plugged in tight. Raining cats and dogs here and i don't have a garage....ugh!!! Its a huge pain in the butt just to get to the dang switch! Orange is hot right? What color wire is power out? If its not raining tomorrow, ill have to take off work. Lets just say i have power in and out, any other thoughts? I know the 3rd brake light is powered by the brake light switch only, right? And the other brake lights go through the multi switch correct? Thanks again for your help! The stop/hazard fuse is good, so if i don't have power going in it would be grounded and poping the fuse right? and if i don't have power going out, faulty "new" switch?
Old December 28th, 2015, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

orange wire going in the switch and white coming out.try this,pull the plug at the switch and jumper the connector and see if your lights work.if you have power going in and out of the switch your gonna have to dig deeper to find your issue,like i said theres a splice in the circuit and that could be your problem also,meaning if threres an issue at the power splice ,i can see that causing your problem.keep plugging away and you will find it.

Last edited by chevy55; December 28th, 2015 at 6:35 PM.