Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 suburban shuts off

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2011, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suburban shuts off

I have just replaced the fuel pump on the suburban along with running a new power wire and plug to the pump its self. pump start and runs when you turn on the key. The truck will start some times and run for a short period then it just shuts off. If i give it gas and keep the RPM's up it will run for a couple of seconds longer but still shuts off it. it does not start all the time it seems to have to sit for a while. anyone have any ideas?
Old September 19th, 2011, 7:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobJ
I have just replaced the fuel pump on the suburban along with running a new power wire and plug to the pump its self. pump start and runs when you turn on the key. The truck will start some times and run for a short period then it just shuts off. If i give it gas and keep the RPM's up it will run for a couple of seconds longer but still shuts off it. it does not start all the time it seems to have to sit for a while. anyone have any ideas?
check grounds. I had 2 bad grounds behind my inst cluster that was killing the motor.

but then it would depend on the kind of die your getting... is it a just a all out motor shuts off, is it sputtering then dying etc...

Old September 20th, 2011, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

No sputter just shuts off and wont restart till after it sits a while. I was looking into the fuel pressure regulator if it is failing closed it would just die is that correct?
Old September 25th, 2011, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Fixed the issue found it to a bad crankshaft sensor. I used a actron scanner no codes were found. A friend of mine had a Snapon scanner found it was throwing P0336 & P0339 bad crankshaft sensor codes. This part was less then a year old took it out and got a replacement (Free) the truck is working fine now. learned a couple of things on this one I can tell you.

Last edited by BobJ; September 25th, 2011 at 8:58 AM.