Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Two Door Tahoe possible PCM/Engine Wiring

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2017, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Two Door Tahoe possible PCM/Engine Wiring Issue

So about 8 months ago I picked up a 99 2 door w/ the 5.7 vortec. Got a good deal on it because it had some issues. When I got the truck he told me it was a new crate motor with less than 3,000 on it 150,000 on the body. Driving the first 5 min it would run great the slowly start to run like ****. It would stumble at idle misfire and shift horribly. I scanned it and I came up with o2 sensor codes, got new ones then when I went to put them in a scanned it and they weren't thereanymore, I waited a week and they didn't come back. Tried new plugs wires cap and still nothing. I ended up pulling the motor and doing EVERYTHING new intake gasket, fuel injection, all new sensors, water pump etc. Dropped it back in and still ran like ****. A week later it wouldn't idle or barely stay running and randomly threw a tps code then it went away. Went to start it the next day and it didn't start, no spark. After that I had a guy look at it that knows a little more than I do and he was able to get spark to come back by jumpering the cmp sensor to the corresponding pin on the PCM but it still wouldn't fire. From what I was understanding was my injectors would prime with key on but when you went to turn it over they wouldn't pulse. Through this whole process it wasn't throwing any sort of code and the live feed data looked okay other than the injectors not pulsing. Also we tried to get a code to throw by unplugging sensor but nothing. We came to the conclusion that it could be a harness/pcm issue. After he left I popped open sections of the harness to get a visual on any damage with the wiring and the only thing I could come up with was there was brake fluid on the harness under that brake booster causing discoloration on the wiring. I was able to follow the discoloration up the harness to the base of the injectors, there wasn't any brake fluid just discoloration. After that I decided to buy a new harness and PCM 150$ at a junkyard. After that I pulled the harness to see if there's any additional damage and I didn't see anything. Just wanting to know if it sounds like I'm on the right track I've been pulling my hair out for 8 months on this.

Last edited by 99twoDoor; September 21st, 2017 at 7:15 PM.