Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

2 wheel drive in winter driving

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2012, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 wheel drive in winter driving

Hi, we are looking at upgrading our family minivan to a Suburban. Being in Wisconsin I am concerned about winter driving (although it was non-existent this winter). I am looking at a real nice 2008 Suburban but it is 2 WD, not 4x4. I would like to hear thoughts on how the 2 WD handles in the snow. I realize it is rear WD, not front. Any idea how it would compare to a front wheel drive Grand Caravan?

Thanks for the help.
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Just my $.02 but I wouldn't touch it. You'll probably end up hating it in the winter.

I'm guessing it's a good price and the reason it's a good price is because no one in Wisc (or any snowy state) wants it.

Compared to your mini van you would absolutely hate it (in the winter). We have a Honda and our Tahoe....my van would easily outdo the Tahoe if I left it in 2wd. Especially if you're going from a fwd mini van to a 2wd Tahoe...no way I would advise that. Unless they are literally giving it away at a fire sale....but just remember you'll struggle to trade it at a decent value up here.
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:33 PM
CF Senior Member

i concur

if you are going for a suburban in a winter state, go for the 4x4 or get a minivan and stay home in the snow
Old April 10th, 2012, 7:45 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4x4

get the 4x4.
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Being a fellow Wisconsinite, get the 4X4! You WILL regret it if you get the 2WD.
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

A 4X4 Suburban will go through the snow fairly easily but will handle differently than your Caravan. There is a lot more weight to deal with.

Last edited by Spicoli; April 10th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old April 11th, 2012, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

If it comes with a G80 diff and good snow tires, you will be able to get around. Just be prepared for a little oversteer.
Old April 11th, 2012, 5:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terpsmandan
If it comes with a G80 diff and good snow tires, you will be able to get around. Just be prepared for a little oversteer.
As much as i agree with this, i would go with a 4X4. I dont see any resale value for a used 2 wheel drive SUV in wisconsin.
Old April 12th, 2012, 2:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by terpsmandan
It really depends on how much snow/ice there is and how well his community takes care of it. I live on the KY/IN border where we get very little snow. If we have a few inches, this is no problem. If we get an odd 12" snow storm, I need 4x4 because our area simply does not have much snow removal equipment, and there may be 12" of snow on my road for several days. That is enough that it is hard for the rear tires to push the front ones through the snow.

In northern states, they have plenty of equipment to deal with snow, but they may not remove it from smaller streets because more snow will just fall on it again anyway.

Even in my area, LTL4life is right about resale value. There are very few 2wd Suburban/Tahoe and the ones that are do not sell well. I would never buy one.

$0.02
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Veteran

personally I don't see the point of owning a pickup or SUV if its not 4x4/awd

Quick Reply: 2 wheel drive in winter driving