Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Suburban ABS & Brake lights on dash go ON after repairs!

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2014, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Suburban ABS & Brake lights on dash go ON after repairs!

I recently took my 2000 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT 4x4 to my local Midas repair shop and had replaced all 4 brake calipers (Centric Posi Quiet), ABS Control Module (Dorman 599-700) and the ABS Modulator Valve (AC Delco 19149234). Prior to this there were NO lights that would pop up on the dash. After having these parts replaced the “ABS” and “Brake” lights are now showing on the dash. The Midas shop says that no codes come up on the scanner and that after a while the lights should go off, since there was a new ABS Control Module installed it needs some time before the lights will go off.

I just wanted to know if there is any truth to this situation with the lights on the dash going on after a repair like this and then eventually going off.

On a side note can anyone attest to how the brakes on this year and model Suburban should feel? Should they respond as soon as I tap the brakes or do you have to push down a little before the brakes respond?

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by jagajivan; November 14th, 2014 at 3:16 AM. Reason: Forgot To Add Year And Model On Title
Old November 14th, 2014, 9:00 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
What prompted all the brake work in the first place, hopefully it wasn't at this same shops advise...
I don't mean to pile on and have no resolve for you, but the shop should never advise you to "wait for the light to go out" there has to be a diagnostic procedure to resolve any learning that needs to be done and they should have done that and returned the vehicle to you in full working order...

It would be my guess that something is disconnected or is not receiving the power or signal it expects...
Need to check all fuses, check all wheel speed sensor connections, check the harness going to the ABS, check the connector to the fluid reservoir...
They basically need to cover everything that was done...
Old November 14th, 2014, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is some background on why I started this work. I was driving my Suburban to get new tires installed at my local Big O Tires store. While I driving there, the brakes were fine. As I was pulling up to the store, upon the 2nd or 3rd time I pressed the brake pedal, the pedal went straight to the floor, no brakes! Luckily there was little motion on the Suburban, moving it to park stopped the motion. Not at any time did any ABS or brake lights come on the dash to alert me of any potential problems, nor any indications of spongy brakes. Just sudden and complete brake failure. The mechanics at Big O Tires alerted me of a leak coming from underneath the middle area of the driver’s side of the Suburban from the frame. They lifted up the Suburban and proceeded to inspect. They informed me that most the brake lines where rusted and rotted out and that one or more of the brake lines had burst or broken, causing the brake failure. The Suburban had spent most of its life in states in the so called rust or salt belt back east. I purchased the Suburban used here in California.

I started to research this problem on the internet and was surprised to find that both GMC & NHTSA are aware of this issue and no recalls have been issued to date. The only alternative that GMC offered was a Brake Line Kit (GM 22933219) that you have to purchased and install on your own dime. I purchased this kit and took it to my local Midas repair shop and had them install.

After they replaced all the brake lines the brake still went straight to the floor. They informed me that the the Calipers needed to be replaced as some of the components were rusted out and they were having trouble bleeding. The technician also said the ABS Control Module needed to be replaced. In their words this is why the brakes were not working properly.

Since I am not a mechanic, and Midas is a well know repair facility that I am sure does this type of repair frequently I figured they know what they are talking about. I was able to source all the parts myself (at a good prices I must say), I ordered the parts and took them to Midas to have them installed. About $800.00 in on this repair job including labor.
Old November 14th, 2014, 2:11 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

What you have described sounds like a master cylinder failure to me. Seems like that's the one major part of the braking system that you didn't replace.