Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Suburban LT Autoride issue

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2009, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Suburban LT Autoride issue

I have a 2000 suburban with autoride and it has been really loud for the last month or so, I took it to a dealer who told me I need a new compressor and it will run around $900, from the other threads I have read on this site it seems like I can install this myself for around $300 and only takes about 15 minutes? Does anyone know if this is in fact true and if so if you know a part number and how to install I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by engine36; February 15th, 2009 at 7:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

You might check out this website that I found.
www.arnottindustries.com

I am working through the same issue now with my 2002 Suburban. Found both rear shocks faulty. Replaced them. Trying to correct the rest as time and money allow.
Good luck.

Last edited by fyrflie; February 16th, 2009 at 3:25 PM.
Old February 16th, 2009, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Suburban LT Autoride issue

Thanks for your response, I did speak to them today, I found their website late yesterday, great price on the compressor, now just trying to make sure I can install it as the price to have the dealer do it is just simply insane. Again I appreciate your repsonse.
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Chevrolet Suburban LT w/autoride

Hello my suburban has 85000 miles and I have never had a problem with the autoride until recently. It seems to be working intermitantly. I noticed a few months ago that the pump seemed to be running more frequently but I didn't think much of it. Now I am trying to pull my trailer and during the last three days out of 4 trips the system has only pumped up twice. It did seem to be fine the two trips it worked. Any ideas before a visit to the dealer would be really helpful.

Thanks
Rich
Old March 9th, 2009, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RTBright
Hello my suburban has 85000 miles and I have never had a problem with the autoride until recently. It seems to be working intermitantly. I noticed a few months ago that the pump seemed to be running more frequently but I didn't think much of it. Now I am trying to pull my trailer and during the last three days out of 4 trips the system has only pumped up twice. It did seem to be fine the two trips it worked. Any ideas before a visit to the dealer would be really helpful.

Thanks
Rich
From what I have experienced and read about so far is that the first thing to go bad are the rubber bladders that surround the rear shocks. As they start to leak, the compressor will run more often to keep up the required pressure in the system to maintain ride height. The compressor is not designed to run that much.
I would start with inspecting the rear shocks. If they have signs of cracks in the rubber boots/bladders, then it's probably time to replace them.
Check out www.arnottindustries.com. They are by far the best resource I have found so far with the best prices.
Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old March 12th, 2009, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help. I will check the bladders today.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fyrflie
You might check out this website that I found.
www.arnottindustries.com

I am working through the same issue now with my 2002 Suburban. Found both rear shocks faulty. Replaced them. Trying to correct the rest as time and money allow.
Good luck.

I have read up on this as my compressor now sounds like a coffee grinder. My compressor has always seemed to run fairly frequently and from what I have read I think my shocks may also be faulty. Do you mind asking how much you paid for your new shocks.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
Old May 10th, 2009, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

http://stores.ebay.com/gandrautopartsonline
where i got my rear shocks. i bought my compressor from arnottindustries until i found out i should not have.(you have to re-use your pump dryer and the new pump might not fit in to your existing bracket) i tried to apply power to my old one and still runs althought i found out that the solenoid might be bad. i went to a junkyard and got a solenoid from a continental sedan and replaced my original pump solenoid. it worked. now the front shocks, while saving money, i got a pair of monroe regular shocks put it in and i just put a resistor across both wires going to the top of the electronic shocks. and covered it with lots of electrical tape. no service ride control on dash and rear shocks still works. i plan to put electronic shocks when i have enought to buy from these:http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/SAE-Parts...red-Items.html. the resistor is 3.9 ohms 25 watt.
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fyrflie
From what I have experienced and read about so far is that the first thing to go bad are the rubber bladders that surround the rear shocks. As they start to leak, the compressor will run more often to keep up the required pressure in the system to maintain ride height. The compressor is not designed to run that much.
I would start with inspecting the rear shocks. If they have signs of cracks in the rubber boots/bladders, then it's probably time to replace them.
Check out www.arnottindustries.com. They are by far the best resource I have found so far with the best prices.
Good luck. Hope this helps.
Got any photos of what these look like when they start to fail? I looked at mine the other day and I couldn't see any significant cracking, however being that the truck is a 2000, I doubt this is the case. Thanks
Old October 28th, 2009, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default '00 burban autoride trouble

I've put new shocks, sensors and had the compressor tested on my burb and now the dealership is telling me the soleniod is bad and i have to replace the whole compressor -- anybody tell me if thats the case or if just the solenoid can be replaced. Thanks

Last edited by deckerchevys; October 29th, 2009 at 2:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Suburban LT Autoride issue