Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 3/4 Suburban, very weird noise, possible auto ride failure?

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 3/4 Suburban, very weird noise, possible auto ride failure?

I have a 2001 with Auto Ride. Im around 105k, I bought the vehicle around 100k. I have used it to tow my boat which is roughly 5,000lbs.

My question is how do I know the Auto Ride is even working? Will I see it or feel it lift the back end when I start it after hooking up my boat? I dont notice it do anything. Also when I go over speed bumps the rearend goes over hard like the suspension is really stiff, not what I would expect from a system called auto ride! Plus others on here described a "caddy like" ride with this system, which it doesnt quite feel like.

I have also just recently started to get a strange noise I think is coming from the back, but I cant seem to isolate it yet and it is really only bad upon start up, I dont hear it going down the road.

After reading some other threads I am curious if it could be a faulty pump? My haynes manual does not cover the auto ride so I know nothing about how it works or if this new noise could be related.

The best I can describe the noise is like a loose baffle in a muffler, but I know its not that. Its like a rattle, but a more constant noise when it happens. When it happens it makes the noise for a few seconds, stops for a few and does it again. Never the same interval or length.

Can I jumper the pump to kick it on and see if it makes the same noise, where and how would I do that?

Thanks for the help.