Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT 4x4: fix up or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT 4x4: fix up or upgrade?

Hello all - new to forums. Hoping to get some insight on my situation for longevity purposes.

I own a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT 4x4. This vehicle was gifted to me by family a few years back, they bought it gently used in 2005. The truck has about 183k miles.

Despite the relatively low mileage for it's age I'm wondering if it's worth working on to that it could last me a few years more. I'd like to buy a new vehicle but with the prices right now it doesn't seem to be a good time.

The issues currently with my truck are my brakes, oil leak and the rear tires need replacement.

My brake fluid is running low and I'm now hearing some screeching with braking. A full brake service seems to run anywhere between $850-1,000 based on the quotes that I've received.

My oil has been leaking for the last few years. Steady leak without change for the last 5 years (I've been collecting oil in a pan in my garage). It is believed to be a rear main seal leak. The quote I received for parts/labor of rear main seal, oil pan and gasket based on a recent diagnostic evaluation is around $1,700.

I have a clunk occasionlly with braking/going over bumps. I was told that it is thought to be secondary to a transmission mount needing replacement.

General wear of rear tires and need repalcement, I estimate a few hundred bucks.

There are some other issues, primarily cosemetics and non engine related that I'm not too worried about (power locks don't work anymore, window motors going bad, worn leather seats, cracked front windshield).

The above will run my nearly $3,000 which is above the KBB value. I really do not have the time, tools nor expertise to do much of these repairs myself. Ideally, I would like to keep this truck on the road for another 1-3 years. I've had to change out the coolant resovoir and a few hoses but other than that not much has changed. The engine seems to run good but I'm just afraid to put this much money into the truck for something else to pop up.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any/all input.

Last edited by RecQL4; July 22nd, 2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 24th, 2021, 2:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I've got the same truck, going on 300,000 miles, I'd fix it.
Old August 1st, 2021, 11:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd fix it but I do all my own work which saves a whole lot in labor cost.

Brake fluid may be low because your pads are worn down. When you put new pads on, the reservoir level increases. Brake pads and rotors (if needed) are an easy diy job.

The rear oil leak can be done pretty easily at home as well. Usual suspects are the oil pan, rear main seal, valve covers or rear engine cover. Mine has been leaking for couple...again. I just just add a quart of two between oil changes until I have a chance to remove the trans and locate the leak.

I use Sam's club and Walmart for tires. Never have any issues.