Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2500 Suburban Purchase Decision Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2017, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2500 Suburban Purchase Decision Advice Needed

I have been looking at suburbans and excursions for almost a year now, sorting through the pros and cons and trying to determine what the family needs. Our goal is to have a 4wd SUV capable of towing our boats, hauling hunting and camping gear, and carrying kids to and from ball games. I was leaning toward something in the 2007-2012 year range but recently found an older suburban that has my interest. It is a 2001 4WD 2500 with the 6.0 in it. It has low miles for its age at 109k. It is pretty much decked out the way I would want one with ranch hand bumpers and other accessories. It could use a little cleaning on the inside but overall the truck looks, runs, and rides great. I like the 2500 aspect as well as the larger engine for towing on long hauls. What issues should I consider on a 16 year old suburban that may sway me away? I know it had the AC compressor changed out in the last year and brakes were rebuilt at all four corners and new tires installed. I've heard of instrument clusters and fuel pumps being common problematic components on these vehicles. What else should I be advised on? I know a 16 year old vehicle is bound to have a few hiccups, but saving $10k makes me believe I could probably stay on top or ahead of most issues. Thanks for your advice/input.
Old May 25th, 2017, 7:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

See if the maintenance records are available. If the oil and filters were changed at regular intervals at about 4,000 miles it would be a great vehicle. 109,000 miles is not that much especially if it were well maintained.
Old May 25th, 2017, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maintenance records are available and it appears to have been very well maintained. I could find no signs of deferred maintenance or any issues at all.

Now I fully understand that prices vary dependent upon location, condition of vehicle and many other variables but I'm going to ask this anyway. What would be a fair price for a 2001 2500 4x4 Suburban LS with a 6.0, no autoride suspension, new tires, 107k well maintained miles, new ranch hand bumpers front and rear, and no known mechanical issues?

Last edited by ChiefO; May 25th, 2017 at 8:29 AM.
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2000, 1500 with a 5.3 that I use to pull a travel trailer. It does the job but the 2500 would have been better. As far as issues.. Common issues on the big suvs and trucks that I have seen are: The Tow/Haul wire will eventually break on the steering column. Easy and free fix for anyone with a soldering iron. The speakers may be shot and need replacement. Easy fix. The transmission on the 2500 wont have a fluid drain plug. Gotta drop the pan. The On-Star is analog and can no longer be activated and it's married to the stereo system. So, if you keep the stock stereo you keep the inactive on-star buttons (who cares?). If the parking brake design is the same on the 2500 as the 1500 then adjusting them means you need to know the technique and the special handshake.

I would totally go for a 2001, 2500 Suburban. Clean ones sell quick around here and for top dollar, relative.. I would rather have the 8.1 engine but, the 6.0 is a good engine. I think it's about a 360ci engine.
Old May 26th, 2017, 3:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The 2500 trucks from those years are completely bulletproof. Pretty minor stuff regarding common problems - fuel pump, window regulators, A/C components are really the biggies.

For a truck that old, depending on your/its location, I'd be looking for rust, especially in the lower body. A buddy owns my '01 now, and she's rusting out pretty badly - bottoms of the doors, rear quarter panels, etc.