Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 chevy suburban keeps throwing ac belt

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2018, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 chevy suburban keeps throwing ac belt

Ive replaced my AC belt two times now ..keeps getting derailed ..
Old June 4th, 2018, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

how is the a/c tensioner...spin the tensioner pulley
Old June 6th, 2018, 7:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just replace that tensioner. It's a cheap part on rockauto.com. I replaced mine just because a couple of days ago. I have a couple of road trips in the next couple of weeks and I thought that the bearing was feeling a shade loose. I think the whole assembly was like $23 bucks. Also, I cranked mine and watched the belt to be sure that it's running true. Also, there is a service bulletin that refers to the tensioner chattering (and failing) due to improper refrigerant pressure in the AC system. Check your refrigerant pressures.
Old June 17th, 2018, 6:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my 2001 Suburban's AC belt replaced. The mechanic said that the tensioner was bad and that the pulley was freezing up to a point that the new belt was smoking. He sprayed the pulley and clutch with PBBlaster and freed that up, while I replaced the tensioner myself. So far, so good, and the AC is cold. The old tensioner was so worn that the parts were ready to separate; had that happened the part could have broke loose and broke the nearby transmission cooling lines. At $35 a piece, replace it.
Old June 18th, 2018, 4:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
I would just replace that tensioner. It's a cheap part on rockauto.com. I replaced mine just because a couple of days ago. I have a couple of road trips in the next couple of weeks and I thought that the bearing was feeling a shade loose. I think the whole assembly was like $23 bucks. Also, I cranked mine and watched the belt to be sure that it's running true. Also, there is a service bulletin that refers to the tensioner chattering (and failing) due to improper refrigerant pressure in the AC system. Check your refrigerant pressures.

That bulletin came with the new AC belt tensioner that I installed. That's a heck of a way to find out there is a problem, after the part fails and you buy a replacement. Tensioner parts could separate and damage nearby trans fluid cooler lines and who knows what else.
Old June 18th, 2018, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

how should they have notified you?

When a belt fails; you should be checking every pulley while the belts off. When any part fails you should be inspecting for cause.