Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban Air Conditioner problems

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2011, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban Air Conditioner problems

On long trip air conditioner quit blowing cold air. After stopping for an hour or so it worked fine for a while then again didn't blow much. After sitting for 3-4 hours I added 2 cans of R134 it was blowing normal as I was finishing the 3rd can I heard a popping noise( like something in the fan blade) then it began making a grinding noise. I immediately turned off the engine. I waited about 5 minutes and made sure the air cond. switch was off then I started the engine and everything was normal. After a moment I turned on the air and after 5 seconds or so I began to hear the grinding noise again so i turned off the car and came straight to your guys for help. I am 450 miles from home and have my family with me and they get really ill when they are hot so please please help me.
Old July 8th, 2011, 5:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by daytooday
On long trip air conditioner quit blowing cold air. After stopping for an hour or so it worked fine for a while then again didn't blow much. After sitting for 3-4 hours I added 2 cans of R134 it was blowing normal as I was finishing the 3rd can I heard a popping noise( like something in the fan blade) then it began making a grinding noise. I immediately turned off the engine. I waited about 5 minutes and made sure the air cond. switch was off then I started the engine and everything was normal. After a moment I turned on the air and after 5 seconds or so I began to hear the grinding noise again so i turned off the car and came straight to your guys for help. I am 450 miles from home and have my family with me and they get really ill when they are hot so please please help me.
I'd say ghet ready to replace the compressor. You also better evacuate the system also.
Old July 9th, 2011, 4:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm wondering if it was over charged, 3 cans is a lot and the seals blew out or there is too much liquid refrigerant in the system....

Were you using a gauge set when charging the system?
When you say it stopped working you mean it wasn't getting cold enough?
Was the compressor cycling before you added the refrigerant?

once you added the refrigerant did the compressor stay on for a longer period or still cycle?
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree. Sounds like he slugged the compressor w/ liquid refrigerant.
Old July 10th, 2011, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally the air still blew out but wasn't cold.
I only got 2 full cans in it. I quit right after starting the 3rd can. That is when the noise began. As I was putting the 2 cans in I was monitoring the air and it never got as cold as it should that is why I put in the full 2 can and a small part of the 3rd. I drove the car home and tried turning on the fan without the air being on and it still made the noise. Does that indicate that it may only be the clutch
Old July 10th, 2011, 1:28 PM
Administrator

Was the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging when you charged it? It kinda would of had to to take the charge....are the lines under the hood getting cold? Maybe the blend door is stuck and you are getting heat instead?
Old July 10th, 2011, 1:36 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

So w/ the A/C compressor off and the fan on, you're getting a clicking, grinding noise?

If the grinding noise is coming from the compressor even if the clutch is disengaged, then the compressor is probably damaged.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

having rear ac problems...does not come on at all...front works fine..can anyone help?
Old June 27th, 2014, 3:11 PM
Administrator

Diva35 Welcome to the forum...
Is the fan not coming on for the rear or is the fan on but no cold coming out?
If its the fan not coming on it could be a fuse or the motor could be out or possibly the switch is bad....

If the fan is working but no cold, it may be a blend door issue....
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Front ac

I have a 2001 Chevy suburban the rear ac works fine and throws out cold air as for the front it throws warm air does anyone know what it could be

Quick Reply: 2001 Suburban Air Conditioner problems