Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban LT 2WD

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2015, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban LT 2WD

So I got a 2001 suburban with 86000 miles on it for free last week. Only known problem was it has been sitting untouched for past 4 years. So I get it drain the gas put new gas in and fuel pump dead I replace it and was still getting no gas to engine so changed fuel filter and got pressure at the value before injectors. Then found out injectors we're clogged up. So bought all new ones and got them in today and truck fired right up. So then I Began to check everything that I could now check with truck running..

So first problem I think blower fan for front heater and AC is dead. No air was coming out. Now rear AC and heat was working just fine.

So my main question. When I drove it around for a bit. I started hearing a noise kinda like a whinnig up and down. It only does it when I'm doing over 20 and let off the gas. No noise while I'm on the gas at all. I have no clue what it could be. Any ideals?
Old February 11th, 2015, 8:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Before you drive it any more - replace all fluids. They all probably have a ton of moisture in them. Transmission, engine oil, rear axle, power steering, coolant. It won't be cheap - the transmission takes 16 quarts. Axle gets 75W90 synthetic.

Does the blower work on high? If the resistor pack died, you'll lose one or two fan speed settings, but the high setting doesn't go through the resistor pack. If it doesn't work on high, you have an issue with the blower itself - fuse, motor dead, etc.

Last edited by intheburbs; February 11th, 2015 at 8:27 AM.
Old February 11th, 2015, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Before you drive it any more - replace all fluids. They all probably have a ton of moisture in them. Transmission, engine oil, rear axle, power steering, coolant. It won't be cheap - the transmission takes 16 quarts. Axle gets 75W90 synthetic.

Does the blower work on high? If the resistor pack died, you'll lose one or two fan speed settings, but the high setting doesn't go through the resistor pack. If it doesn't work on high, you have an issue with the blower itself - fuse, motor dead, etc.
Well today I did oil change and I did notice water in it. I also did the rear differential oil and gasket. Also did a obd 2 test and said TPS and MAP were reading bad so I replaced them I also got to the blower motor and tested the connection to the motor and was get 12volts but motor would not work pulled it out and could barely turn it by hand was Locked up. Got it free but was making a grinding noise. And freezing up. So order new one should be here by Monday.

Really 16 quarts of transmission fluid. That's gonna suck. So I guess I'll go for this next. So should I really do coolant don't it already have water anyways? So power steering I guess I'll do that one should be really cheap. Should I change brake fluid too?
Old February 11th, 2015, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Forgot one thing. So I drove it a little before I read your message and I went on hwy today and one I got over 50mph. It then started the humming and whinning noise when I pressed the gas only. When I let off it was quite. I could actually kinda feel the the noise vibration in the gas peddle when I pressed it. Would that have something to do with transmission. Now that I think about it a friend was like let's check the tans level and. When I did I notice bubbles. I didn't think anything of it though it was because the fluid made bubble when truck was running. But it could deffently had been water. So transmission might be cause of noise and changing would get rid of water and should clear up. Thanks for the advice. Still cant belive 16quarts
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Coolant might be ok, if it's the Dexcool stuff. I'm just paranoid, and coolant's pretty easy and cheap to replace. I'd do it as cheap insurance. The radiator has a lot of small passageways that can easily get plugged up.

Ditto with brake fluid. It's might be ok, but it's cheap insurance if you replace it.

Yeah, the transmission really does hold 16 quarts. You'll have to take it somewhere they can do a full flush. Just dropping the pan will only replace 5-6 quarts, IIRC. Since you've driven it, you now have water throughout the transmission and it needs to be removed. I did a flush on my '08 at the dealer (one of the few times I've brought it to a dealer), and I think it was like $200 and some change.