Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban overheating with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2013, 3:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just a shot in the dark but how's your coolant level? sometimes a low level causes what you're describing
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coolant level is normal, no air pockets. I wish it were that easy. :/
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

now i'm not an expert and excusue me if i missed any info but

1. are the fans kicking on? could be weak fan clutch

2. could it be overfilled with freon? too much will cause it to act up

3. the compressor could be weak

obviously i would go checking the less expensive fixes first
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trainwreck,

1.) he replaced the fan clutch with a heavy duty clutch, no difference.

2.) Yes it could, also a low charge, but, the ac wouldn't be cold if it was under.

3.) A weak compressor would not cause OVER heat. It would cause the ac to be weak, and not effect the engine temp...
Old July 4th, 2013, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input guys.

So, after about an hour's worth of testing today the A/C on idling, freeway, city streets with traffic, it should stay cool in anything but extended idling situations. I got it up to 225 idling with A/C on, shut the A/C off it dropped seriously to 203* and might have ran cooler, but I'd been idling for well over 20 minutes so I just shut it down. When running with the A/C on the condenser becomes too hot to touch, I know that it is its job to collect and disperse heat, but should it be SO hot? The water pump is doing its job obviously or it'd overheat without a/C at idle as well I would think.

Maybe the condensor isn't exchanging enough heat and in turn that residual heat is effecting the radiators performance at idle? Is this a stupid idea?
Old July 4th, 2013, 5:23 PM
CF Senior Member

hmmm... how cold is the ac? It should be really cold. You could be low on R143a. When low, it super heats. Meaning, that not all of the gas condenses into liquid and because of that (hard to explain) the liquid that is there boils faster and heats up more before it reaches the compressor. And becuase there is more heat at the compressor than normal, when it compresses it creates even more heat than what would be normal operation. So, I would take it to a shop to check ac, or get one of those refill bottles with gauge from advanced or auto zone or where ever...
Old July 4th, 2013, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

The A/C is nice and cold right up until it idles for awhile then engine temp and air warm at a consistent rate. The charge is good I guess, I've had two mechanics check it. One said it was overcharged but nothing serious and the other thought it was fine. Maybe time for a third opinion. The problem definitely lives with the A/C.
Old July 4th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Senior Member

How much of a gap is there between the fan and shroud? And then how much of a gap between fan and radiator? Have seen a fan that got chewed up until there was a big gap between the fan blades and the shroud. So smaller, moves less air. Plus, big gap to recirculate hot air...
Old July 5th, 2013, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

The fan blades are in perfect shape. The shroud is intact and no pieces missing. Looks like an inch gap or less between the blades and shroud. Ill be throwing more parts at it in a few weeks. Ill be sure to update this thread for anyone experiencing the same. Any more ideas feel free this is such a bummer.
Old July 5th, 2013, 9:44 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

A 1" gap sounds too big. I'm thinking (w/o looking at mine) that 1/4" to 3/8" is about right. The bigger the gap, the more air the fan draws from under the hood and not thru the radiator.

Quick Reply: 2001 Suburban overheating with A/C on