Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2021, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Suburban trouble starting

I have 2001 Suburban with 137000 miles on her she was running great until about 4 months ago. She started giving me problems starting and staying running, I have replaced the fuel pump with a Delphi OEM replacement drained and cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, new diehard gold battery and fresh fuel. She initially turned over and ran for about a couple of minutes and stopped, I tried turning cranking her again several times to no avail and it sounded like the engine was freezing up, so I pulled the plugs and turned her over via the crankshaft to ensure the motor was not frozen and I shot a little WD 40 into the cylinders to clear up any moisture that may have gotten into the cylinder heads because it rained the night I removed the plugs and did replace the plugs until the next day. After replacing the plugs and wires I tried cranking her over again and she fired up briefly but stalled out and would turn over a couple of times and then act like it’s stuck or frozen again. I have tried the pressure test on the fuel rail and get no pressure on the gauge and I cannot hear the fuel pump engage but upon removing the gauge I am getting fuel and I have checked the gauge and it is working fine. I have checked the wiring and the fuses, also checked for any codes with the autotel handheld data computer and all appear to be good, tried turning over again and appears to be locked up. Any input is greatly appreciated or if you have experienced the same please let me know, frustrated in Florida and running out of ideas.
Old October 24th, 2021, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

​​​​​​Could be a bad fuel pump. Might check the fuel pump relay.

When you say it appears to be locked up, do you mean it won't turn over?
Old November 23rd, 2021, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 73 Shark, Thank you for the reply!

The fuel pump was replaced and relay is good, have 50 to 60 psi fuel pressure and fully charged battery it turns over freely now but will not start.
I am moving on to the fuel injectors now hoping to solve the problem.

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

​​​​​​Could be a bad fuel pump. Might check the fuel pump relay.

When you say it appears to be locked up, do you mean it won't turn over?