Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban 5.3L with intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2009, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Suburban 5.3L with intermittent starting problem

Here is my problem; I have a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3 liter engine. The truck has a starting problem. I need to crank multiple times before it starts. After I get it running it drives fine, no hesitation, no backfiring. If I turn it off and restart immediately it will start back up most of the time. If I let the truck sit for a while it will not start up unless I crank it multiple times. Here is some history and tests that I have done. The fuel pump was replaced in 2006 by the dealer as a recall. I checked the fuel pressure and my (cheap) fuel pressure gauge is showing 51 PSI when running. If I turn the key to the ON position the fuel pump charges the system up to 59 PSI and then drops to 51 PSI as soon as the fuel pump stops. I checked the spark and in the case that I have to crank the engine whit out it starting I don’t see a spark or a fuel injector impulse on the volt meter. To get the truck running I have to turn the key from the off position to the ON position multiple times and then try to start the engine, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. The problem with this is I drain the battery and will kill the starter soon. Any advice or any additional testing steps?

Last edited by 180461; December 14th, 2009 at 8:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Awey Ka Taem (July 29th, 2020)
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 03 burb which had a battery failing, which had the same starting issues....replaced battery all well
Old December 20th, 2009, 6:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch the fuel pressure for 5-10 min see how much it falls off.
Old January 12th, 2010, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Changed battery but no help
Old January 12th, 2010, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Have done some more testing. If i leave the key in the ignition in the ACC position for some time then the car will start without any problems. Could it be that the PassLock 2 system causes this problem of no spark. I thought PassLock 2 will disable the fuel delivery and not the ignition.
Old January 12th, 2010, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the sercuirty light flashing when it will not start?
Old January 13th, 2010, 7:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Default problem starting

check the fuel pressure regulator, you will have to take the upper intake manifold off to test it. Use a vacuum gauge to test the regulator.
Old January 13th, 2010, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

The security light is not flashing when i crank the car and it is not starting
Old January 16th, 2012, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same intermittant starting issues... Up to 100K it always cranked on the 1st turn of the key. One day it just started with the same intermittant issues as described above. Once it starts, the car runs like it always did. I see some responses but has anybody figured out what's causing it yet? Thanks in advance for advice.
Old January 16th, 2012, 5:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Tom Terrific,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your vehicle. Are you having this problem with your 2001 Tahoe or your 2005 Sierra?

One possibility is the crankshaft position sensor. Another is an issue with the sequential central port fuel injector. These are just suggestions, not a diagnosis.

I suggest you take the vehicle in for an inspection by a certified technician.

If you would like, I may be able to offer additional information if you PM me your VIN number.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2001 Suburban 5.3L with intermittent starting problem