Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban 5.3L with intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

question. are (in either cases here) the gauges acting correctly? I had bad ground behind my dash that was causing the oil pressure guage to bounce quite a bit, and intermittantly it would die, or not start until I took both the ground wires on the plug and made a better ground.

if your not getting funky gauge readings, it may not apply to your problem.

:chug:
Old February 23rd, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Tom Terrific,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your vehicle. Are you having this problem with your 2001 Tahoe or your 2005 Sierra?

One possibility is the crankshaft position sensor. Another is an issue with the sequential central port fuel injector. These are just suggestions, not a diagnosis.

I suggest you take the vehicle in for an inspection by a certified technician.

If you would like, I may be able to offer additional information if you PM me your VIN number.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Sorry for the delay... Here in Virginia it has been too cold every weekend to crawl under the car...

I want to thank you for showing me where to look...

What I hadn't mentioned was that living in a forest, I've had significant rodent problems with both my Tahoe and my GMC Sierra. Squirrels or rats have managed to bite thru both vehicles gas guage wires on the top of each gas tank... Additionally, losing much of my firewall insulation, also chomping thru a wire on the ABS which is conveniently mounted to the top of the ujoint where they even have a seat for chewing thru the plastic tubing and the wires inside....

Soooo.... when this happend, I started looking for some wire they had munched... couldn't find anything but last weekend I took off the top cover on the fuel injection pipes and there's a little metal vacuum hose on the right side (looking from the front)... It seems that just enough of a munch at the rubber broke the seal at one end and voila... I put a little RTV on it... been starting the 1st time ever since...

Thanks for showing me where to start looking
Old February 23rd, 2012, 4:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Tom Terrific,

Thank you for the update. I can relate to the rodent issue, I had an issue with a mouse building a nest with the insulation under the hood of my Malibu.

I am happy to hear you were able to resolve the problem.

If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 2001 suburban. If my truck sits for a day it has a problem cranking over the first time. It takes two try's to turn over its driving me nuts. I'm going to change to gas filter and add injector cleaner, and see if that works... Please anyone has any other ideas let me know...
Old September 30th, 2015, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Have similar intermittent start problem; except mine dosent fire and must sit a while and try again, sometimes the next day or more. Manual check of a spark plug wire did not show a spark when grounding to engine block. Battery and starter are new, any help appreciated
Old May 2nd, 2017, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Is the sercuirty light flashing when it will not start?
I'm having the same issue and the security light is flashing when it will not start
Old May 3rd, 2017, 8:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked for codes in the OBDII?