Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe issue

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2010, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe issue

My 01 Tahoe died on me on the freeway. All of a sudden, pressing on the gas did nothing and now it only starts up, sputters and dies. We changed the fuel filter hoping that was the problem. The fuel pump started up the first time after we changed the filter, but it still died after a few seconds. Now the fuel pump doesn't come on and it continues to start then sputter and die. Any ideas??

Thanks so much!
Old January 17th, 2010, 7:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If the fuel pump doesn't come on and the fuse is good, then probably a fuel pump that's gone Tango Uniform.

Might check fuel pressure just to make sure.
Old January 17th, 2010, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

the fuel pump should spin up every time you turn the key on and don't start the engine.. it may not do it every time if done in rapid succession as the fuel pressure has to fall, but you should hear it spin up after being off for several minutes...
Save yourself the troubles and buy the factory one, and you will probably never have to change it again...
Also if you have not already read thru the forum keep the gas tank at least 1/4 to half full in the summer months as fuel helps cool the fuel pump and when the fuel lever gets low in the summer the heat really wears on the fuel pump....
if you are mechanically inclined you can change out the fuel pump in about 4hrs or less with a helper...
make sure you get the fuel line removal tool as it will really help and they are not expensive...
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:40 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much to both of you. We are going to replace the fuel pump tomorrow. Now the truck won't even start and the pump isn't even running intermittently as it did previously. I really appreciate your advice and will let you know if it works! Any idea on how much the factory pump runs in comparison to the $256 pump from Kragen or Autozone? Thanks again!
Old January 18th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

If I recall the price for the AC/Delco fuel pump is going to be around ...make sure your fully seated...$400...and if I recall the fuel pump for the 2001 comes with a upgrade kit for the wiring/connector and fuse for the fuel pump...
I know its pricey but it will more then likely last at least another 8 years and probably longer then you will keep the vehicle, if you are planning on selling in within 2 years then go with the less expensive option...
Old January 19th, 2010, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

YIKES... Man I REALLY hope its the fuel pump... here goes nothing!! The pump comes in today