Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe obd port issue

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2024, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe obd port issue

I'm currently trying to hunt down a problem I'm having with the obd2 port on my 01 Tahoe. I tried to get it inspected this morning and the state obd tool could not communicate with my obd port. I took the car back to my shop and hooked up my autel scanner to see if the obd was dead and to my surprise I was getting full obd functionality. i was able to run codes and read live data with no issues. I then attempted to take the tahoe to a second inspection shop and encountered the same issue of the state obd reader not being able to communicate with my ecu. i then took the tahoe back to my shop and tested the power and ground pins at the obd port and was getting a healthy 12.6 volts on pin 16 and good ground on pin 4. the next thing i was told to test was the resistance between the can low and can high pins but unfortunately my obd port only has the can low pin 14. there is nothing in the can low pin 6 port. At this point im truly at a loss on what more I can look at. I'm truly confused on how I can get full functionality from my own scan tools and have access to all the ecu data but somehow the state inspection computers are the only computers my obd is unable to communicate with. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 7th, 2024, 3:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by cnet15
the next thing i was told to test was the resistance between the can low and can high pins
Told by whom?
Your truck uses single wire Class 2 serial, not CAN.

Make sure both ground pins have a good path to ground. Measure the resistance with a meter.

This is the second or third time I've heard of testing facilities not being able to hook up. I think their equipment, or operators, are just junk.

https://charm.li/Chevy%20Truck/2001/...%202%20Device/

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 7th, 2024 at 3:30 PM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really appreciate the quick reply. thats some helpful info for me to look in to. hopfully i can find where the problem is in the class 2 serial port