Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2015, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2001 Tahoe Transmission issues

I have a 2001 Tahoe LS with 169,000+ miles. I was feeling a clunk/ ever so slight hesitation between 2-3 gear. Not all the time and not always at the same acceleration speed. I then started feeling a clunk when coming to a stop. Like second gear was not down shifting to first until I stopped. Then when I would accelerate from a stop it would feel like it was starting out in Second gear then down shift to first then it would shift normal except between 2-3 I would get that clunk or hesitation. I would also notice that it would shift into overdrive at low speeds(less than 40) if I was just slowly accelerating. Feels like it is really bogged down. I took it to a local guy and he couldn't find anything or get the trans to slip. He says "He took it apart and did a complete front to back rebuild of all the soft parts, races, seals and I assume (have to check with shop) that he replaced the shift solenoids and put in any updates that it had come out since. Now that I have it back, it down shifts just fine and has no hesitation on acceleration. But I still have that hesitation/clunk between 2-3 again not all the time. It happens mostly during slow acceleration and sometimes you can still feel it at mild to heavy acceleration. I feel that it shifts into overdrive too soon at slower acceleration. The guy at the shop told me that it's not a new transmission it's a rebuild so it won't feel like a new trans. "I don't buy it."

Can this be the rear end making the noise/ hesitation?
Are these issues caused by the computer?
Would a programmer/chip solve these issues?

Sorry this is so long just trying to give as much info as I can.
Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Ty