Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban Stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2011, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Suburban Stalls while driving

Hey guys,

My 02 Suburban Stalls while i am accelerating no lights on the dash just dies.
Starts back up in a minute or two.

I had a problem back in June of this year where the truck did not want to stay running Chevy diagnosed bad gas told me empty tank change fuel filter and clean TB.

Here is engine info: 5.3 L V8 Flex Fuel 2002 Suburban LT

Here is what i have changed:

Alternator & Battery- June
Spark Plugs & Wires-June
Oil & Filter-Last Week
Air Filter- June
Fuel Filter- June
Rear Brakes- June
Thermostat- June
Throttle Body Cleaning- June
Fuel Pump (was changed about 2 years ago)
Condenser & Accumulator for the A/C - June

Basically it had a full tune up in June

I have seen other threads on here saying possibly Crankshaft Position Sensor.... However i see no user feedback if anyone has been able to fix the problem or not.

Any information to help me figure this problem out would definitely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might check fuel pressure as fuel pumps are rather dicey, especially non-OEM ones.
Old March 13th, 2012, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 chevy suburban, only sometimes when the car is under accleration the rpms drop and the car eventually shuts down, i then try to start the vehicle up and no go sounds like there is no fuel. i wait 5 min and it will start right up and act like nothings wrong. brought it to mechanic but he cant get it to do it for him. Any thoughts would be great.
Old November 30th, 2020, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Joe JR
Hey guys,

My 02 Suburban Stalls while i am accelerating no lights on the dash just dies.
Starts back up in a minute or two.

I had a problem back in June of this year where the truck did not want to stay running Chevy diagnosed bad gas told me empty tank change fuel filter and clean TB.

Here is engine info: 5.3 L V8 Flex Fuel 2002 Suburban LT

Here is what i have changed:

Alternator & Battery- June
Spark Plugs & Wires-June
Oil & Filter-Last Week
Air Filter- June
Fuel Filter- June
Rear Brakes- June
Thermostat- June
Throttle Body Cleaning- June
Fuel Pump (was changed about 2 years ago)
Condenser & Accumulator for the A/C - June

Basically it had a full tune up in June

I have seen other threads on here saying possibly Crankshaft Position Sensor.... However i see no user feedback if anyone has been able to fix the problem or not.

Any information to help me figure this problem out would definitely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
same things keep happening to me I don't know what to do
Old December 1st, 2020, 10:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I would first try some maintenance because that is inexpensive and may fix problem but bear in mind, maintenance is never supposed to fix something. I would go to the parts store and get the MAP/MAF cleaner and follow the instructions to the letter and clean them and see what happens. What brand of fuel pump did you install?
Old December 2nd, 2020, 8:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Fuel pump relay could be acting up. Cheap and easy guess part. Look at it's pins also for discoloration as that's the sign of a poor connection.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 8:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by repairman54
Fuel pump relay could be acting up. Cheap and easy guess part. Look at it's pins also for discoloration as that's the sign of a poor connection.
Plus, there is typically another relay that is just the same configuration and part # and can be swapped to the fuel pump relay position to see if fixes the problem.
Old May 7th, 2021, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Demetrius Thompson
same things keep happening to me I don't know what to do
I think I have the same issue, runs like a charm around town but when I head out a couple hours down the road it lets me sit for a couple of minutes before firing up again. Then it runs like nothing happened for an hour or so. Seems to be getting worse but no way to get it to act up around town for my mechanic. It doesn't throw any codes. Rick
If anyone figures it out I'd sure like to know about it
Old May 8th, 2021, 8:19 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBauman
I think I have the same issue, runs like a charm around town but when I head out a couple hours down the road it lets me sit for a couple of minutes before firing up again. Then it runs like nothing happened for an hour or so. Seems to be getting worse but no way to get it to act up around town for my mechanic. It doesn't throw any codes. Rick
If anyone figures it out I'd sure like to know about it
Fuel pump and it's power supply / connections issues will not set a code. Something may be opening up due to heat expansion / contraction making it intermittent.
Those are the tough ones to fix especially if going through the tank dropping work to inspect connections.
Sometimes it's a matter of complete failure to properly diagnose intermittents and that sucks.
Checking for fuel pressure when it happens or a shot of starting fluid into the throttle body to see if it fires would be my roadside check if it's fuel related.
Good luck.
Old May 8th, 2021, 1:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

One way to get an answer is to check for fuel and spark at the time it quits and won't restart.

Which ever one is absent should help provide some direction to check further.
The following users liked this post:
73shark (June 19th, 2021)

Quick Reply: 2002 Suburban Stalls while driving