Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Rear Access Light ?? HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2006, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Rear Access Light ?? HELP !!!!

OK, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. The "rear access open" on my 2003 tahoe dash will come on at any time. (with the hatch closed). Sometimes it stays on 10 minutes, sometimes 2 days.
Problem is, at 2 am in the morning when the light comes on, the computer thinks the door is open and sets the alarm off.

The 3 switches that trigger the "rear access open" are built into the two latches on the bottom of the door and the 1 latch on the rear window glass. I have trouble shoot this by disconnecting them and hooking one up at a time,
hoping I could pinpoint it and replace the faulty one.

Problem is it doesn't matter which one I try it still happens. As a last resort, I unplugged all three and it still happens.

To make matters worse, you can manually lock the doors and not set the alarm, but there is no manual lock on the hatch.
So everytime the truck is locked I have to worry about the alarm sounding.

I have already been through the dealer and GM custermer service. Hopefully someone else has seen this problem.

A scan will not pick it up as no trouble code is lite.

Thanks for any ideas
Old June 11th, 2008, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Rear Access Light ?? HELP !!!!

I have the same problem and my neighbors are starting to give me dirty looks every morming because of it..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Old June 11th, 2008, 9:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

make sure any electrical contact points are clean
Old June 13th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

I too have the "Rear Access Door Open" message whenever I startthe vehicle,and the temp is above50 degrees. No alarm system in this Z71. The rear wiper is inoperative when this occurs.
I replaced both of the lift gate latches, no luck there. I took it to the local dealership and they checked the wiring/contacts from the two lift gate latches to the BCM and found nothing wrong.
They drag tested the BCM contacts and said they were OK. They cleaned all the contacts and that was fine for about a week and it happened again,etc.
The dealership said the next step was to replace the BCM , but I hope to someday stumble upon the answer, rather then buying a new BCM.
In my case I am leaning to something loose or dirty in the contacts/attachment of the BCM ,or in the connector above the lift gate,since the event seems to be triggered by a temp change.

Old June 13th, 2008, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Let us know if you discover the source of the problem.
Old June 15th, 2008, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Good news,so far.....

As a last ditch effort,I disconected the battery before leaving for work on Friday.Thought reseting the computer might help.I hooked it back up when I got home(about 12 hours later)and havent had the problem since.I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it's only been two days.The only drawback is that the truck ran bad (low idle speed)for the first few minutes after reconecting the battery.Sure is alot better than the alarm going off at 3:00a.m. I'll keep everyone informed over the next few weeks.
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Slow idle probably due to computer relearning.

Still think Bill Gates had some input to the Chevy software.
Old June 16th, 2008, 9:54 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That brings up a point to check is the battery, if its getting low it could cause the anomalies
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

O well,no luck on disconnecting the battery.The alarm went off again today about 5:30 pm.I dont think in my case the battery would be the problem,it's only about one year old and the truck dosent turn over slow or anything.Guess I'll keep looking,Thanks guys......
Old June 30th, 2008, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Wanted to let everyone know,I brought the Hoe to the dealer.They kept it for two days and told me there was nothing wrong with it.Thirty minutes after bringing it home,the alarm was going off again.once I shut off the alarm and started the the engine the info center kept reading that the rear access was open.The following morning I brought it back to the dealer and showed them.A service tech came out andmade sure the rear door was closed all the way.When he looked inside and saw that it still read that the door was open he said,"It needs a new B.C.M.". I'm guessing this is a common problem,seems like he had dealt with it before.Sure enough they changed the body control module and the problem is gone. Too bad it cost $620.00. Anyway,thanks for the suggestions........

Quick Reply: 2003 Rear Access Light ?? HELP !!!!