Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban AC vibrations.

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban AC vibrations.

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SE, 190K miles.

My AC is rattling or vibrating, it's coming from under the hood, not in the dash.
I recently had the following work done at a credible local shop: Replaced head control panel on the dash, replaced leaking pipe on compressor, evacuated and recharged system, replaced AC belt, (but not the tension/idler pulley) used washer to wash both engine radiator and condenser coil, replaced clutch on engine fan.
Before the repairs the symptoms were: the AC would blow tepid air, not hot but certainly not cold. Upon acceleration, up to about 40 MPH or faster, for a few minutes, less than 5 minutes, AC would start to blow cold air. Very hot Texas weather, up to 100 degrees outside. Seemed as though once AC was blowing cold air it continued, but sometimes it became intermittent again. Always began to work once I sped up and was back in traffic. Normally blew cold during red light stops. But got warm if parked in the lot waiting for people to get out of the store. No strange noises or vibrations coming from the system.
After repair: AC works better, but not 100%. I am again getting some of the same symptoms as before. But now there is a definite vibration coming from the AC unit. I can feel the vibration at an idle and up to about 1000 RPMs. Car idles at about 500. The vibration is noticeable in the steering wheel. There is a noticeable low rumbling sound upon acceleration or when I cross a big bump in the road at moderate, 40MPH speed.
I used my flashlight to see what I could find abnormal about the AC belt. I can only see the belt in two places, the water pump is in the way. It may be bouncing up and down but only a very small amount. I don't know what is normal for that belt.
I took the car back to the shop and the manager sat in the car and could feel the vibration. Once the AC is shut off the vibration instantly goes away. He didn't drive the car. He said it was normal for that to happen. He said it is the horsepower being pulled by the AC operating under such hot conditions.
Is a rumbling sound normal? In any event the AC, though improved by what we did, is not fixed. It is becoming intermittent again.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions anyone may have.
Tomie