Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban tire problem

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2007, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban tire problem

I have a 2003 Suburban with about 36,000 miles. About a year ago I noticed the front set of tires had a wavy motion on the tires tread ( or cupping). The back one's were fine. I took it to a local tire shop and they said it needed an alignment, so I had it alingned and the tires rotated. Now the good one's are on the front and the wavy one's on the back. 6 months later the ( good tires) front one's were now wavy (cupped) as well. Talked to a friend of mine and he said he had the same problem on his Tahoe. He had to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. He said the dealer had to do something different during the alingment to fix it that other shops don't do. Has any one heard of this or no what the problem could be. Thanks
Old August 31st, 2007, 1:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Suburban tire problem

Caster, Camber and Toe are the only adjustments that are checked during an alignment. Keep in mind that a perfectly aligned Suburban will start to show some uneven front tire wear after several thousand miles; this is normal and precisely the reason that tire rotations are recommended at 7,500 miles intervals.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

I have rotated the tires every 6000 miles and the wear is even. The tire has a wavy motion all the way around all of the tires. When I drive it sounds like I have mud tires because of the hums from the tires are so bad.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL mud tires, clearly you have never drivin with a set of Swampers on a truck......I dont think it is taht bad, my buddy made reference to my jeep sounding like a plane taking off from the HOWL, of the tires,......I have heard other people complain of this as well, but most start to feel a small shimmy/wobble before it gets bad...talk to you dealer....

maybe your using Cheap *** tires....no offence but I have seen some of the crap you southern state US guys use...would not put them on my lawn mower
Old September 5th, 2007, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

They are the factory tires. Not good tires but not bad. They sound like mud tires. I have had several sets of mud tires in the past so I know what I am talking about. I am actually from Philly, just moved to the midwest a few months ago.
Old October 21st, 2007, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

The inside of the tread will wear faster on our vehicles. Has to do with
scrub radius on turns. Ever hear the chirping as you turn on smooth concrete,
like in a parking garage. Every time you turn your steering wheel your tires go
to toe-out on turns, this is built into the f/e geometry. The inside tire has to turn tighter than the outside, but unfortunately, it also wears the inside edge of our tires, Urbs and Tahoes alike. The wear is commonly refered to as heel-toe wear, just like your shoes, wherein the lug develops a wear pattern circumferentially. Run your hand over the tread circumferentially and you will feel the heel-toe wear.
Old March 5th, 2010, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

so whats the cure, Ive only owned my 03 Sub for a month and it rides just like the one post, sounds like a truck and shakes like a Peterbuilt at highway speeds. Also any reason for the rear wiper not to work, is it a common problem
Old March 6th, 2010, 6:06 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only "cure" is to rotate the tires often and keep it alaigned properly. The IFS contributes to this problem more so than a solid front axle would.
The rear wiper is either a fuse, the wiper switch or the wiper motor. Check the fuse and if that's not the problem then check for power to the motor, if it's getting power the motor is bad.